Feature shoot in 10 days?

Lets be honest using an HD camera should let you shoot faster...you don't have to load film, simply pop in another tape. I'm getting a hard time from a DOP...says minimum 20 days shoot, but I think it will take half that amount of time also there are: no crane shots, no special effects, a few dolly shots here and there. I think you can do it in ten days. What do you think?

I think it can be done. One of my former advisers who crewed on some Docudrama Miniseries and edited it, said shooting from beginning to end took 15 days. Not including set-up of sets and locations, but the whole thing was well planned, well rehearsed and well executed.

The key to doing anything quickly is extensive planning, or in filmmaking parlance, preproduction.

Every last detail has to planned in advance - costumes, hair/makeup, props, and a thousand other things. Another very important detail is thoroughly scouting out your locations. Will there be a lot of extraneous foot traffic? Is there an airport or a highway nearby that will interfere with sound? What about weather problems?

fast-good-cheap.jpg

Pick Two

It can be done, but you have to keep your ratio low and move very very efficiently. Pre-production is always your friend, but in a 10 day feature shoot, it's your ONLY friend. Every other variable is your enemy.

Back