DV vs Flash Memory

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and I'm pretty new to filmmaking in general. I'm 16, so I obviously can't afford any high-cost equipment. I'm currently in post-production of my first short film, which I shot on a Canon FS200 that I borrowed from my video production teacher. I'm in my third semester of video production in school, so I have a decent amount of experience shooting school-based news packages, commercials, short videos, interviews, doing basic editing on Final Cut Express, etc. Most of my work has been done on the Canon FS200, which is a flash memory camera. I have done some work on a Canon Mini-DV camera (can't remember what model, but it was a basic consumer level camera.)

My question is, is using flash memory ok for short films or will it look silly and unprofessional? The flash memory camera I'm using is a $300 model, it's not some little flip camera toy, but obviously it's not particularly good either. With Christmas time coming up, my parents have been asking me if I want a camera. Would a Mini-DV camera suit me better than a Canon FS200? http://http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Memory-Camcorder-Optical-Silver/dp/B001OI2VXG Obviously if I get a mini-DV camera it would have to be something under $400 or so. Basically, what I'm trying to ask through my rambling is, which is better for a high school student trying to make serious short films on a low budget, not just playing around- Mini DV or Flash Memory?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

The recording format is less important.

I would suggest using whatever you're comfortable using, until you have the means to move up to bigger and better things with more bells & whistles.

If you light your shots, and frame them properly, footage from a crappy Hi8 camera will look better than improperly lit and framed footage shot on a Red.

That said, these are the things I would look for, in order of importance:

• Mic input (preferably XLR, but 1/8" is usable) - This really is a must have item, along with the mic and accessories to use with it.
  • Manual control of exposure (iris, gain, and shutter speed)
  • Manual control of focus

which is better for a high school student trying to make serious short films on a low budget, not just playing around - Mini DV or Flash Memory?

Either would be fine, really, for creating what you're talking about.

I'd be askin' how you intend on archiving your footage, though. If you record to tape, you have it on tape. Pop it in a closet. Job done.

If your camera recording to internal flash, or a card, or a hard-drive... you'll be needing to clear that out, as time goes on, to make room for more footage. What's that old footage going to end up on? You can't just move it to an external drive and call it a day. What you gonna do if you turn that drive on, and it doesn't start? Or just shows up as a blank drive needing to be re-formatted? (Yup, been there & done that)

I'm not sure that the storage medium actually matters at all. I'm not a camera expert, but I am a certified network technician, and I know data storage, and the storage platform really doesn't matter. Two cameras identical in every way except for one using flash memory and the other using DV will both return the exact same footage, despite the difference on where this footage is stored (Assuming your DV output is of equal quality to the flash video)

Whatever you are working with, I reccomend backing your videos up to DVD, or Blu-ray if your budget allows. You are less likely to lose your footage than if you use an external hard drive.

Last edited:
While it's probably less likely a dvd will go bad, like a hard drive could.. DVD's are no safeguard either, nobody really knows how or when they will eventually break down, but more than likely they will.

I've got dvds that no longer work. Not due to scratches, just the data layer is no longer fully readable. On the flip side, I've got old 3.5" floppies from 20 years ago that still work just fine. :lol:

I think the bottom line is that there's no guarantee on any storage medium, and your best bet is probably to store things that you really want to hang onto in multiple formats. (DVD, Flash, Hard Drive, and/or Tape)

I love flash. Lots of memory. They are small. You can pop it into the computer and let it download while you do something fun.I agree with the backup. Have lots of options. Me stuff is on an external drive to work with. and 2 separate portable hard drives put away. As soon as I get real internet at home I will put a copy on the "cloud"

Ironically, flash cards ARE the format of choice for most high-end cameras these days. So neither medium is going to make you look more or less "professional." Like Will said, the format is less important than the camera itself. And in your budget range, most of the cameras are pretty much the same.

Personally, I will never shoot to tape again if I can help it.

Randy,
I like your comment about the cloud, I think that really is the answer to any long term archive of digital media of any sort. Vimeo, photo bucket, you tube etc. will eventually start offering LIFE TIME plans, if they don't already..

Apple is blowing it on this front. I should be able to re-download anything i have ever purchased.. but the 2000 lb gorilla says different, and not for any technical reason. If they don't change that eventually Ill stop using them for movies. I have several hundred dollars invested in electronic ebooks audio books, i bought some of those books online 7 or 8 years ago. I can re-download them in 5 mins.

I see lots of attempts to get "online backup" off the ground, but I don't see it really taking off. I think the reason is that most digital information is appropriately discarded, most of us don't care if we have emails from aunt Marge from 10 years ago... but the things we DO care about, are the same things we always care about. Memories. People want to see old photos and videos WELL after the creation date, in fact they get MORE interesting and personally valuable as they get older. Do you think you will really care if you have the Install media for Windows XP in 5 years.? . contrast that with your home movie of you daughters 1st birthday.

Storing source media in the best quality is only marginally useful over the long term. Short term, during project life time it makes sense, but beyond that.. meh!

I was talking to my teenager today on the way to school, seems that she thinks that blue ray is likely the last generation of physical media. I cant help but agree.

Ramble over :)

At the level that you're at (sub-$1000) it really doesn't matter what you use for storage. Concentrate on features that will make the final image on screen look more professional. Like others have mentioned features like manual focus and an external microphone port are things to look out for.

And always have at least two copies of your video and audio, no matter what type of storage you're using.

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions.

After using the Canon FS200 extensively over the last few months, I honestly cannot imagine having to go back to using tapes, so I think I will stick with the flash memory. I'm looking into getting a Canon Vixia within the next few months, as they shoot in HD to a memory card, and the price has dropped dramatically.

Falsh cameras generally have - no moving parts - the theory is that this will make them last longer. They also can endure greater environmental conditions, heat, cold, water? who knows. You can also crank the footage which is new to digital tech - Check out ACM cameras - great low light, 1080p 24fps on average and - cheap! HMC40 is an amazing deal if you compare its stats to anything in its class.

Format is not a concern unless you're looking into P2 or film - because it's expensive media, and you have to specially order it - you can't pick it up at a Wal-Mart. Sooo, if something happens on the day of a shoot... something really terrible - you're screwed.

With flash media - you have to back up everything you do though - upload on several drives, because you have to clean the card and reuse it - so if you don't back up your footage and it dumps wrong or something... you'll hate yourself - however, with dv tapes, you can save them, and upload on multiple systems. In my opinion, DV's are outdated, and will be gone within 5 years though - or at least only available on special order.

Also - you can do live playback on flash media - just about every camera allows for it. Live playback is also available on DV tapes... but you run the risk of taping over something

Back