Newbie Producer - Recommended Resources?

Hi!

I am getting involved with a talented writer and director, where I will be taking up the slack and the day to day things. I have experience with projects and scheduling and the like, however all of that is outside of a film world.

What resources do you recommend?

Books, videos, anything you think it will take to be a 'Producer' to this crew. It doesn't have to be Australia-specific, but that is where I am now and the project will be set.

I have this course coming up on Saturday, so looking for where to go from there;
http://www.aftrs.edu.au/short-courses/running-your-own-creative-business/k555

Regards,
Chrom

What kind of producer are you going to be?

It almost sounds like you're talking more about a production manager than a producer.

I very well might be! Terminology is also something that I need help with.

I believe my role will be based around practical matters, like locations/sets and talent, even meeting with people that we wish to work with (perhaps those from Film Victoria, in the state that I live).

I won't be funding the project, which was my original understanding of the term 'producer'.

This is another reason I'm looking for information, so that I can get a better grip on it. I would be greatly appreciative of any information you'd be willing to share.

There are different types of producers. For instance, the producer that funds or sources the funding is usually called the Executive Producer.

What I'm trying to do is get a handle on what you believe you'll be responsible for, what the project is, budget level, team size and what the project is for.

I'm also getting a slight feel that it's a small production. Probably yourself, a Director, DOP, a sound guy and some actors? The smaller the production the more hats everyone has to wear and the less specialized everyone gets to be.

So far you've described jobs that could cover, location scout, locations manager, casting director, First AD, Production Manager, PA even Executive Producer. Most of what you have to do will come down to your teams experience. The less experienced they are, the more experienced you'll need to pick up the dropped balls.

If you've been brought on as the glue that binds everyone together on a small production, you'll probably find yourself in the middle between a project manager, location scout, location manager, caterer and First AD.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you for explaining these.

It is a very small production indeed. I believe that yes, I will be filling in as the glue that binds. The other two (director and writer) won't be stuck in their roles - ie, they'll help when I need it - but I believe that I have the responsibility to know when to ask for that help.

Project manager, location scout, location manager, casting director, caterer and First AD.

I found this course on being an AD (all three levels) in Melbourne coming up, that I am tempted to take:
http://www.aftrs.edu.au/short-courses/the-assistant-director-adg-approved/R570

Now, this course does say that it's "designed for those with some on set experience and is not suitable for set novices", but I figure doing it would be better than not. Even though I am definitely a set novice.

Is a project manager something different than the rest of the world? I have experience in such things in the construction industry. The rest I will find resources for.

Thank you for all of this information. It is wonderful to have proper names for these roles!

When you get to smaller sets, you'll find many people calling certain roles different things. It's just something you'll have to work out if they throw you a little of course.

Project Manager is similar to a Production Manager, though the production manager is specific to the world of filming.

I'm going to suggest a bit of reading material before you decide to do that course. There's a book called Running the Show on Amazon.com. There's another book that should give you a decent overview. Producing and Directing a Short Film and Video.

Tom Kane (Film Production Workshop) also has a decent course that covers Producing, Production Managing and ADing. There are a lot of stories and examples pulling from his experience in the field.

I also understand Dov S Simmens has a Youtube channel and has a lot of advice for low/no budget filmmakers. I remember his approach being a little odd, but it'll be well worth the alternate perspective since you'll be shooting with a super small team.

Go through those and then you'll be more in a position to ask specific questions in areas you're having issues.

Thank you very much, Sweetie. I cannot tell you how helpful this information is.

I have been looking at all of the information you have given, and look forward to getting into it over the weekend.

Thanks again!

I've had a look at that description, and it looks perfect. Do you have any recommendations for learning about being a line producer? Any information would be great!

Doing is the only way I've learned.
I can give you a couple tips on how to not mess it up.

Always record 5 minutes of audio at a location before selecting it. Make sure there aren't crazy background noises.

If you're catering, pizza has been a bad choice for me on two occasions. One time a dude was lactose intolerant. Another time none of the girls would eat it because it was fattening. If there are skinny girls on set then you need to have catering with low calorie options.

Just a FYI: A line producer is virtually another word for Production Manager who gets involved during the development phase. Instead of implementing the budget in practical terms, the Line Producer is responsible for breaking down the script/production and creating the initial budget for investors. They often d the first iteration of the shooting schedule which is an essential step of creating that budget.

Line Producers sometimes only do the development phase of a productions and other times continue on as production manager, sometimes taking both credits or just the higher Line Producer credit.

Tom Kane's training goes into this.

sfoster gives you good practical advice for sound and catering.

Back