• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

My short film's 1st Teaser Trailer - "Bill & Maggie"

I'm really curious to know what the IndieTalk community will think of this first trailer for my short film, "Bill & Maggie's Intergalactic Taxi Service."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewn1vGDmYVQ

The visual effects and soundtrack still have a ways to go. But at this rate, it's looking like the film will be completed by the end of the year, to be ready for the festival circuit in 2016.

So please, let know what you guys think, because I would appreciate to have your honest feedback.

Any chance anyone else has any thoughts or comments on my trailer?

I posted this two days ago. Got plenty of views apparently, but no replies. Even if you have no major criticism, seeing what you guys like as opposed to what you don't like will help out as well.

Thanks

Great work. I would definitely love to see the full film. The story didn't necessarily "grab me," but the visuals alone were enough to gain my interest.

Great work. I would definitely love to see the full film. The story didn't necessarily "grab me," but the visuals alone were enough to gain my interest.

yes its amazing what computers can do isnt it . making a dream land. while also making nothing look real and interesting no one for any elapsed period of time. keep on keeping on

yes its amazing what computers can do isnt it . making a dream land. while also making nothing look real and interesting no one for any elapsed period of time. keep on keeping on

Not that I want to start an argument over this, but you do understand that it still takes months of work to make computers do anything even remotely interesting? I still had to build everything you saw there that wasn't an actual set. And we did have half a real set there too. Computers definitely take a load off. But they still take time and energy to make anything happen.

I originally wanted to do everything practically. And I'm certainly in favor of doing it when one has the resources and the budget. But whereas building even a model of those rotating gears would've cost about $75 dollars, and would've taken far too long to build and paint within my very short production window: doing it all digitally costs exactly nothing if you already have the software and the memory space. And it can all be done after production is completed.

My biggest revelation was that when it came to building and photographing our steampunk space craft, there's just no way to film them in an accurate and technical way where it looks good, without the use of a dolly track, a really wide angle fast lens, and a step motor. Doing it in any other fashion without the best steady cam rig or a DIY rig with a small camera lens, doesn't lead to favorable results, and would not have been easy to plan out or design within the time that I had while working on this for my Senior year at college. I had to get it shot and "in the can" by late February. So there was just no time to gather the man power, money, or resources to do these effects with models or live set pieces.

So budget-wise and schedule-wise, I had to make the decision to go all digital with the effects, because my vision was just too big to do on any "practical" or "physical" scale.

Besides which, I never really intended for the CGI here to look photo-realistic. I've certainly tried to get it as close as I can so that you can't see where the seams are if you aren't looking for them. But this is supposed to be a whimsical, cartoonish universe rather than a realistic one. And so the effects are intended to reflect that in their own way.

Last edited:
I liked it.

From a filmmaker perspective, it looks professional. I wouldn't worry about whether the effects look photorealistic or whatnot. People watch cartoons and a toy stories and everything else under the sun. A non-filmmaker won't wonder about all that stuff. It has it's own kind of look, and they'll just take it for what it is.

From a viewer perspective, just the name (although you could slow down the title when it appears just a tad bit) alone is interesting enough for me to click on it.

I say, if your whole film looks and sounds like the trailer, you've done well. I'd watch it. And I generally want nothing to do with space travel, except when Mussonman is having intergalactic affairs.

I liked it.

From a filmmaker perspective, it looks professional. I wouldn't worry about whether the effects look photorealistic or whatnot. People watch cartoons and a toy stories and everything else under the sun. A non-filmmaker won't wonder about all that stuff. It has it's own kind of look, and they'll just take it for what it is.

From a viewer perspective, just the name (although you could slow down the title when it appears just a tad bit) alone is interesting enough for me to click on it.

I say, if your whole film looks and sounds like the trailer, you've done well. I'd watch it. And I generally want nothing to do with space travel, except when Mussonman is having intergalactic affairs.

Thanks ~trueindie
I've had a lot of positive feedback on the title grabbing people's attention. So I'm glad you want to see the rest of it.

And yes, most definitely the rest of the film will not only look as good: but as a whole the film should look even better than what you see here. I'm currently designing and modeling the space craft for the film. So I'm going to be putting a lot of detail and color theory into them to make them fun and visually striking on screen.

Back