• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I am looking for a scriptwriter

Currently, the idea I want to go with a topic that is taboo such as interracial dating. It could be either a drama or romantic comedy.Tell me if you like the idea or not.The story line I am thinking is two young adults who don't fit their racial/social stereotype. They meet by chance. Both of their parent are not excited about who the other person is dating. These characters are not gender, race/ethnic specific yet.

First character: from a family with strict cultural values. The family is of the same racial background, and their mindset is only date/marry someone of the same race. Even the conversation of interracial relationships is taboo or made fun of. .
Second character: from a family that claims not to prejudice towards interracial until once they meet the person.

The beginning of the story could begin with each of the characters back stories in an internal dialogue manner; going about their "normal" lives.

I am open to any comment and suggestions you may have to take this forward.

I think the most intriguing element you mentioned is the second family (not feeling they have race issues until they meet a potential son or daughter in law basically), but besides that, I don’t see a story hook (thought provoking situation, original idea, new twist on old idea, deeper implications scenario) to really be interested in. Try to think what can make your story different than all other stories and/or a scenario that presents the matter of interracial relationships in a new interesting light.

-Thanks-

When I was younger I was happy and naive, so to speak. I didn't know what
racism was and treated everyone as equal. Then there was this one movie that
was a success in Sweden, so I tried to watch it. It was a movie that dealt with
interracial dating. It was a pretty authentic movie and when I watched the
characters I found them so stupid that this movie hurt my until then respectful
relationship to people of these races. In a way it was like this film gave me a
cultural chock that forced me to go to therapy before I could deal with people
of this race again.

I have also written a script on racism .
The protoganist is a National badminton player in
India. One of the sports point wrote that India could
never win, so she impregnates herself with the sperms
of an olympic player and gives birth to a girl.
The girl succeeds and she wins the cup for India .
In fact after this only the girl meets her mother.
She leaves her mother and joins in a US college .
she than searches her father and finds him

padma

Script ideas

I think the most intriguing element you mentioned is the second family (not feeling they have race issues until they meet a potential son or daughter in law basically), but besides that, I don’t see a story hook (thought provoking situation, original idea, new twist on old idea, deeper implications scenario) to really be interested in. Try to think what can make your story different than all other stories and/or a scenario that presents the matter of interracial relationships in a new interesting light.

-Thanks-

I don't know what could be my possible "hook" for this script. The area of the US I am from interracial dating is acceptable on the surface because of its diversity. I can't say that for most areas.

I don’t know your age or film interests, but have you ever seen Guess who’s coming to dinner? (1967) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061735/

It’s hook is simple and effective. Maybe you can use it as a starting point to think along those lines, but that’s not to say you HAVE TO have a high concept idea, just a good story.

Sometimes people are brought together in adversity and have to put their differences aside and work together to save themselves or someone else, though this they (Hopefully) discover they really aren’t so different after all. Maybe you can take that set- up and put a twist on it.

Like… There is a series of big storms in a small town. A kid turns up missing. The kid was last seen talking to a guy who is also nowhere to be found. Authorities begin their search. Accusations fly and soon the town is divided along racial lines.

(FLASH BACK- 24 hours earlier.) We learn that the guy was actually seen telling a kid not to go fooling around an area because of the danger caused by the storm and some unstable ground or something. It turns out the kid falls into some well or sewer or tunnel or something, the guy goes in to save the kid, and they both become trapped. The kid and the guy have to work together to get out before the next wave of rain comes (Or they will drown)

(MEANWHILE- Back above ground.) Citizens form search parties that soon escalate with racial fervor into near lynch mob. In the skies the storms grow closer. The local police force is a diverse mix that has its own part of the story. At one point the two search parties accidentally convene like in the woods or something.

(UNDERGROUND) The guy somehow gets hurt and now the kid has to help him to save them both- They are a good team, just a little slower now.

(ABOVE GROUND) Lightening flashes- The Rain begins to pour down- The two search parties have dissolved into a riot – The sheriff and deputies try to maintain order- The sheriff is poised to fire a warning shot- Someone throws a rocks and hits him- The gun fires just as the kid has managed to squeeze through the iron grating of the drainage tunnel and run for help for the guy. The kid is hit by the sheriff’s warning shot- The kid unfortunately dies. Without the kid to explain what really happened, the guy either drowns trapped in the drainage tunnel, or he is sent to prison falsely accused.

I know this veers far off the path of direct interracial relationships, but it still tells a story of racial non harmony. (Feel free to write it into a script if you would like.)

-Thanks-

Why don't you try for a period piece? Maybe make it set during pre Civil War with, say, a white guy from a prominent family in the South (pick a state) and a black slave woman.

Or, set it in post WW2 Germany between a Jewish girl and an ex German (not Nazi) soldier, but has family ties with the Nazis.

The reason I say use period pieces is so you can set the love story in front of a backdrop of greater world events that can help put their story in perspective for the audience. Might work as a better hook than, say, a contemporary one.

Contemporary is good, but seeing as interracial relationships are much more widely accepted than twenty or thirty years ago. Unless you want to go with portraying one of the main characters as a traditionalist nationality like Armenian, Greek, or Indian. I don't think you're going to find much of an audience with a white/black, white/Asian, white/Hispanic, etc. in a contemporary setting just because it's no longer really a taboo here in America.

If you want some sort of hook maybe make the parents on either side politicians of some sort. Have some sort of scenario dealing with racism in politics. The couples relationship could be cross-regional or international making the tension even more immeasurable. Maybe throw in a few scenes with dialogue about the prospect of gay marriage and politics. Whatever. Keep it current, keep it fresh. Play off the ideas that are already circulating all over nowadays.

Perhaps you could do something during the civil war era? There are a ton of re-enactment societies around, so there's your wardrobe solution. Not to mention the props, land and structures that still exist.

Now if you can just talk them into it.

... besides that, I don’t see a story hook

I dunno....

West_Side_Story_22343s.jpg

6a01053620481c970b0120a7b0dd4c970b-800wi

Avatar-Movie-Wallpapers43435.jpg

Last edited:
Back