Film Piracy - Donations?

Would you accept donations for your film being pirated?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Maybe (Please comment below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Film piracy is a huge problem in the film industry, cutting into profits, which is especially problematic for independent films.

I would love feedback from all, but especially independent filmmakers. If there was a way for you to promote taking donations from your film being pirated, would you?

I have a theory that many people pirate because they don't want to pay. However there are a percentage that pirate due to distribution restrictions, and not getting the file they want when they want on the device of their choice.

Whatever the reason, it is happening, and will continue to happen. Rather than complaining about it, should we be looking for an additional revenue stream from film piracy?

tumblr_mnh3zjbvWZ1rjgcvdo1_500.gif

Welcome to the forums :cool:

First off, piracy is stealing, unauthorized reproduction, and illegally copying someone's work for money. I get what you're saying, but I don't know if piracy would be the correct term. I don't want someone stealing my work without permission and getting money from it.

Film piracy is a huge problem in the film industry, cutting into profits, which is especially problematic for independent films.

I would love feedback from all, but especially independent filmmakers. If there was a way for you to promote taking donations from your film being pirated, would you?

It really depends on what you mean. What is this revenue stream you mean, and how would it work?

I have a theory that many people pirate because they don't want to pay. However there are a percentage that pirate due to distribution restrictions, and not getting the file they want when they want on the device of their choice.

It depends on who you talk and listen to. The reasons for piracy are many. I do agree there are problems with distribution methods not letting you watch what you want, where you want, when you want etc. For instance, the whole day and date thing really isn't likely to take off in studio films, though it makes sense for independent films as more and more are turning to self distribution.

If you're looking at a Vimeo style system where you can put up a video and have a "Tip Jar" where people can donate to the film if they feel it is worthy. It fits very few goals that filmmakers have, except one big one. To get discovered.

Whatever the reason, it is happening, and will continue to happen. Rather than complaining about it, should we be looking for an additional revenue stream from film piracy?

I saw a study a while back saying that the crackdown on piracy actually hurts independent films. I don't remember all the points, though it was regarding to marketing budgets that independents rarely have. Piracy has a built in audience that helped promote their film to those who wouldn't ever know about the film. Whether this helps the bottom line of a film is a matter of debate.

The problem with piracy is it removes some, if not most of the choices that the filmmakers have to generate revenue for their film.

I am very interested in hearing your thoughts. I think piracy is here to stay. I too am wondering if there is a better approach to modern filmmaking while taking the realities of piracy into account. For instance, is it worth it for a producer to spend a lot of time worrying about piracy and do something about it or is it just a reality that we should just ignore and continue to do business as usual.

First off, piracy is stealing, unauthorized reproduction, and illegally copying someone's work for money. I get what you're saying, but I don't know if piracy would be the correct term.....

VOD? Something that's existed for a long time?

If you're looking at a Vimeo style system where you can put up a video and have a "Tip Jar" where people can donate to the film if they feel it is worthy...

Kind of like what Radiohead did. I'm sure people are already trying it with film. How well it could work for an unestablished indie filmmaker, I'm not sure.

Back