Expanded Network

sfoster

Staff Member
I live in a high rise in towson.. well, I did.. I am in the process of moving out. In the elevator this old guy from my building is beaming with happiness and he tells me that he got an offer from hollywood to turn his autobiography into a film. He says he was offered a lump sum of $500,000 :eek:

Crazy.. then he got off the elevator and I didn't have a chance to ask for more details like what he's done that was so special, etc.

Also this other guy that I used to know like 10 years ago.. made a post on facebook about his feature film. Didn't even know he was into that stuff, but he lives in LA now and went to USC School of Cinematic Arts. Of course his first film is a zombie horror though. I don't understand why everyone flocks to that for low budget indie. is it a distribution thing? I've never been particularly interested in horror, as a creator or a consumer. but this guy is in town til the 13th filming so I am going to hopefully stop by his set and talk shop for a bit.

Neither of these things will likely impact my trajectory, but I thought they were both interesting. Anyway more connections can never be a bad thing.

Well, you have two connections. You never know how those people could come in handy in the future. Definitely stay in touch with your old friend. I'm sure there could be a collaboration between your two in the future.

Regarding people flocking to horror movies....

Horror is a very popular genre with a dedicated following. Visit a convention and you'll know what I mean. There are many fans who will try to get their hands on as many horror films as possible. If you get featured in a magazine or website like Fangoria or HorrorHound, you are bound to get your film watched by horror fans. Zombies are also a huge sub-genre that people really get into. There is also large amount of horror film festivals, which have decent crowds. One of which is ScreamFest, the festival where films Paranormal Activity and the Human Centipede were discovered at. All sorts of producers, directors, writers, and fans are looking for filmmakers to follow and possibly work with/distribute their film in the future. People just can't get enough gore and Halloween inspired soundtracks. :D

the closest thing I've ever come to horror was a desire to do a vampire film.. that was like 15 years ago before it was super trendy and before i got serious about film. I still don't think a single film has done vampires justice, so I guess if the right deal came along I could get into it. They're always so stupid.. one minute they're super strong and super fast, the next minute they're not. God I loathe the inconsistency.

I've also waited my whole life for a decent film with a dragon. I'm looking at you, desolation of smaug. You better deliver!

that other guy was never really a friend of mine. I liked him and used to go to his parties but he was always mr cool and popular and I was still really awkward at that phase in my life. Somehow he is on my friends list though and no one else from that period of my life is a mutual friend. pretty strange. but i have done so much partying in the last 10 years i've no doubt i could hang with him at this point. man do i have some stories

Last edited:
Let the Right One In is a great vampire film as well. It's a beautiful film with great acting and a unique storyline, oh - and it's starring kids.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/let_the_right_one_in/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICp4g9p_rgo

I enjoyed it, but only gave it 3.5/5
The restraint is fantastic.. but I would have really opened the flood gates for the ending. Maybe it was too low budget for what I wanted to see

Last edited:
Back