Learning to hate the tripod ...

So having shot quite a few things now and still producing for my film, I have learned that static tripod shots even if panning are boring.. infact I now am wondering why I bought a decent tripod set up.

however what I have found is that if you don't have a rig and your crap at handheld then get a light photo tripod, with a fat head then use the handle to rest on your shoulder so that you have more stability, this is my current preferable way of shooting and im close to mastering it.

the way I walk with it is representative of that of a tai chi session, my legs bent and ample with my upper body moving like the grace of god.

im not saying tripod shots shouldn't be used because I do use them, however I grow more and more to dislike really still frames even if they include panning, id rather move the camera myself than pan.

maybe its time to re-invest in some sort of rig .. not sure what do you guys think?

I am doing the feature film now and the whole movie (about 70 minutes+) will not have any camera movement at all, only cuts between different image sizes and all the shots are from tripod.

It does not look boring at all to me:)

Anyone telling anyone how to set up the camera without a full understanding of WHAT the scene is, how it works and what the entire cinematography and narrative of a project is....

...is talking out of their blowhole!!! :lol:

Back