• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is there anything I can do about this continuity problem possibly?

I was hired to do a video for a company where they were changing parts of their building around, construction wise. Basically they want to have a before and after result in the video to show what changed.

However, during construction snow started to fall at the end of it, and by the time I got the footage, the end results are covered in snow. So because of this, you cannot tell the difference of the before and after changes in the construction much, cause a lot of the end result is covered in snow. I talked with the boss of the company about this, and he says that in the editing, to just do the best with what I have.

However, I am having trouble creating a sense of continuity in the process, because of the snow, it feels like not the same place at all. And since the construction crew and or the boss, didn't give me any blue prints, and just wanted me to capture it all on the fly, I couldn't really shoot a lot of the results from the same angles, since the angles were not always available, cause the building kept changing, thus I was not able to stand in the same positions each time, when I kept coming back.

So I was wondering what else I could do creatively, in the video, if the continuity is mismatched. I have a lot of footage of a building under construction to use, but do not want to make it all random and boring. But at the same time, the after results, are not usable per say, cause of the all the snow. So what do you think, if anyone has any suggestions?

Well I still don't have all of the progress... There is one side of building missing, but I have just enough for the rest I think.

When it comes to being payed to edit, how long do you think a person should expect it to take? The person who hired me has no experience in filmmaking, and so far it has taken me about 8 hours to edit a minute of footage. That's getting it as perfect as you can, after trying different types of rough edits. Do you think that maybe this is too long, or the boss will expect more to be edited in that much time?

"The person who hired me has no experience in filmmaking"
Right! You said this was a corporate video. You like to try to shift blame a lot! You are the expert here that's why they hired you! Deliver them a finished product, if they want changes, make them. Why? Because apparently you didn't discuss these terms beforehand. Live and learn!

I'm not shifting blame. What I meant was, is that what would he expect, since he has never hired someone to edit a video before, and is not use to the process. His expectations would differ from that of a professional movie producer. That's all I meant. I wasn't blaming him. Let me rephrase the question. What would a non-professional producer expect?

Last edited:
PS. You're on here asking his expectations which we have no idea of when you could be editing the video and delivering it.

I'm afraid not only the client lacks experience in filmmaking...
Oh, the irony, imagine what you could have learnt from doing in the past years.

Second critic review:
John Snow became filmmaker: he still knows nothing ;)

Your job as a professional, in any field, is to set the proper expectations with the client at the earliest possible date. Preferably in the very first meeting. A good product can please a difficult client if he knows what he's getting. A great product can disappoint anyone if their expectations are set incorrectly.

You seem to be a good natured fellow (or lady, I don't know). I can't give you good advice on filming or sound, but this is a lesson I learned at my first real "grown up" job. You ask for a lot of advice. I hope you can remember this one piece. It will save you a lot of grief in your life.

Back