Directing your 1rst feature is never cake!!!

Tell me of one aspiring filmmaker that does not wish to direct his first feature film! Now I'm not here only promote my work, but to continue to show aspiring filmmakers that anything is achievable... yes even a no budget feature film. We all feel it. that over whelming desire to break free of the short films and really dig into the creation of your first feature. And this my friends by experience is not the "director siting at a chair getting fanned and served coffee" situation. No one will just hand you money especially when you have little to show or in some cases nothing at all. In 2011 i decided to leave the medical field and become a filmmaker? Why well because I'm freaking nuts that's why, and noting interests me more than the world of visual arts and creating something from nothing. When i first started film class in 2011 i was just a mere student with the only experience in film was 2 years of acting school and small acting gigs luckily one being a featured extra next to Jim Carry and of course watching movies all the time. I enjoyed acting simply because of seeing how movies were made. But my desires of learning this skill took me to a completely different level and obsession. I did as most filmmakers do, go out and buy with what little money we have a used computer for editing, some cheap sound equipment from eBay and minimum gear. After filming my 1rst short only 1 month into my 1rst semester, which i will post on the screening section of the forum, I decided to write my 1rst project feature film. Something simple that I can use to learn and make all my mistakes in. Of course like many newbies i asked for help, and even tried to get a little money. The one i asked to help me edit wanted to get paid, and quite a bit. The sound guy i asked agreed to help and bailed out on me 1 day before the shoot. pretty much the entire 3 man crew bailed leaving me to face a full feature alone. Only 2 options at that point were given to me... either quite or face this project alone without the slight idea on how to begin. No help... no problem. My only learning tool was my abstract short made with a bunch of test images. I used this short experimental art abstract film to learn how to edit, do sound and even direct my 1 actor. I made the decision on starting the production of my 1rst feature quickly after and after 1 year of hard work my no budget feature film was completed. Filling a 500 seat theater and wining me the best director in Miami in 2012.

Even though this is a shorter story on how this film was made, my only advise i can give and do give all the time to aspiring filmmakers when i teach them film making in one of the classes i volunteer in is this:

1.) Forget the reality about film making. We all know the reality is no money no production. or no money... no help... no movie.
yes its hard without a budget, but this should not impair you of making your movie. Find a way, used what you have and have access to. If we always think about the reality then we become too caution in taking the risks that can push us forward.

2.) Learn everything!! No one will edit your movie without a budget. Unless well they are your friend and you have developed a team. So learn Final Cut, Avid, or Premiere. Learn your camera and lenses. Learn how to used your recorder and mic properly.
3.) People will try and stop you from achieving your goals. Once you acknowledge this then push this energy aside.
4.) Pull the cart yourself, don't wait for anyone. Start your project... momentum will follow and people will come. 6 months into production after i started posting stills i must have gotten over 50 emails asking to help me. i said no! I started this alone i will finish alone.
5.) Use what you have and work your ass off!
6.) Make your own props.
7.) Embrace the Money Wrench!! always Always Always plan B all your shoots. I filmed 52 scenes for "5th of a Degree" and there were 104 obstacles to overcome. Damn near 3 in every shoot. Indie film making is no were as organized as Hollywood productions. And even those have obstacles. Organize and plan B. If you get shut down in one location have already a second one available.
"DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Yes there will be those obstacles that will mentally break you down and give you that thought of "what the F*K am i doing?" Man up!!! and move on to the next scene. it will not get filmed by you bitching and complaining. Go somewhere private if you have to break down. Let it go, get your self together, wipe the tears and get back to work.
8.) Stay humble, I dealt, and we will always deal with diva actors. Control them in a humble way especially when you are not paying them. Easier to catch bees with honey than vinegar.
9.) Understand your actor to the fullest. How can you direct an actor if you don't fully understand them? Learn what makes them happy, learn what makes them furious, learn what makes them tick. Believe me this will help. even if the actor has little experience. I brought out the devil out of my actor in a scene by using something that i learned from him during an extensive conversation prior to a scene.
10.) Never ever start something and not complete it. Doesn't mater if you are hating the project, complete it! The worst feeling in the world is wonder "what if"? And one of the questions an investor will ask is "what have you done? What other features have you completed?
11. Be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifices. Yep say bye bye to that social life. Until you finish that project you pretty much will eat, sleep and live for your project. Any distractions can really hurt your completion of the film. Remember this is a feature and depending on the content will depend on how long it will take to complete. On top of everything be prepared to sweat blood!
12. VICTORY!!! you completed your film and now your doing your premiere. Oh man this feeling is like no other! And this is the feeling you need to focus on when you start your project. Walking your own red carpet, seeing all the people around you that are here for you. Its an unexplained feeling.
13. Do it for yourself and no one else. Its your first film, make all the mistakes and cover as many as possible. This will sharpen your blade for the next. And make you into that film making bad-ass that you know you can become. After all this is done, your next challenge will be even greater but a little better prepared. Remember you never stop learning.

I have learned so many things even from my own students. AMAZING HUH? Don't give up! your human but our most powerful tool we have is our minds. Use it!

Well can keep going with this but i rather hand the count over to all of you to add. Much love and Keep it up to all the aspiring filmmakers in this forum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCih_8jXj8g

221190_2027897976037_6495624_o_zps6330fae3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

New5thofadegreePOSTERDesign_zps0d434282.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow man, you went from a first year student in 2011 to a paid teacher in 2013?? Did this all happen because of your feature?

I don't feel ready to do a feature after only one short. Maybe if my short had been 36 minutes or something, but with a 5 page short I don't have the confidence yet. A few of my ideas are just too awesome for me to go in there and screw them up like a neophyte.

Great information, especially the "man up" statement. Sometimes you have to put your big boy pants on and power through. Nothing worth doing is easy or will be done over night. I have found there are a ton of people who want to "make movies"...but a rare few who actually want to actually make movies. People are going to leave you hanging once they know films require long hours and actual work, because they are expecting the glamour of Hollywood productions...which is an illusion in itself.

Gonna share this post, just awesome.

say bye bye to that social life. Until you finish that project you pretty much will eat, sleep and live for your project. Any distractions can really hurt your completion of the film. Remember this is a feature and depending on the content will depend on how long it will take to complete. On top of everything be prepared to sweat blood![/QUOTE

I think this is one of the most unexpected things that new filmmakers and newbies to the industry find and have to deal with.
No matter what part of the industry it is, whether you're a lowly PA, or a 1st AD (in fact especially if you're a 1st AD), for the length of the project, you're not going to be doing anything else. Working 11 hour days, six days a week, all you're going to want to do when you get home is sleep.

I try and catch up with friends as much as I can when I don't have work booked in, and they're now all used to it, but it can be taxing on friendships and relationships when you barely see people for 20 weeks (or however long the feature/tv show is - commercials are still taxing but they're much less time commitment and much better pay ;)).

Wow man, you went from a first year student in 2011 to a paid teacher in 2013?? Did this all happen because of your feature?

I don't feel ready to do a feature after only one short. Maybe if my short had been 36 minutes or something, but with a 5 page short I don't have the confidence yet. A few of my ideas are just too awesome for me to go in there and screw them up like a neophyte.

Sfoster, a lot happened because of the sacrifice i made to complete the feature. For things to change we must do something different in our lives. And let me tell you, that "something" is stepping out of a comfort zone.

Believe me your heart will tell you when you are ready to tackle your 1rst feature. When it does don't ignore it, it will only make you go nuts! Artistic individuals cant ignore a calling for creating. Creating a short film is no where close to creating a feature. Its scary yes! but its that 1rst feature that teaches you amazing lessons and strategies of film making. In my opinion if you do have killer stories/scripts use the least one you like to make a feature. Use it as the key to to learn, make mistakes, fix them ect. This will prepare you for the better one on your next.

Great information, especially the "man up" statement. Sometimes you have to put your big boy pants on and power through. Nothing worth doing is easy or will be done over night. I have found there are a ton of people who want to "make movies"...but a rare few who actually want to actually make movies. People are going to leave you hanging once they know films require long hours and actual work, because they are expecting the glamour of Hollywood productions...which is an illusion in itself.

Gonna share this post, just awesome.

Yep! Its actually a bit compelling how people tend to be. They sit back and wait for you to do something. And when they see that you are solid that is when they want to come back and help. Be strong, if they don't want to help you from the getgo, then pull the chariot yourself to the end. Everything else will fall into place after.

say bye bye to that social life. Until you finish that project you pretty much will eat, sleep and live for your project. Any distractions can really hurt your completion of the film. Remember this is a feature and depending on the content will depend on how long it will take to complete. On top of everything be prepared to sweat blood![/QUOTE

I think this is one of the most unexpected things that new filmmakers and newbies to the industry find and have to deal with.
No matter what part of the industry it is, whether you're a lowly PA, or a 1st AD (in fact especially if you're a 1st AD), for the length of the project, you're not going to be doing anything else. Working 11 hour days, six days a week, all you're going to want to do when you get home is sleep.

I try and catch up with friends as much as I can when I don't have work booked in, and they're now all used to it, but it can be taxing on friendships and relationships when you barely see people for 20 weeks (or however long the feature/tv show is - commercials are still taxing but they're much less time commitment and much better pay ;)).

It's an out come that us indie filmmakers have to live with. I went from 180lbs to 160lbs. There were days when i didn't even know how i was going to finish the project, just to look at the time and think we still have a long way to go to complete the scene. I would go home and literally crash. During post i would edit until 6 am and be up a 8am to go to work. But at the end looking down at a crowd of 500 people clapping and me receiving an award for best director in Miami, even though it wasn't anything huge, for me it was one of the best feelings till this day. Similar feeling that you all must experience.

Sfoster, a lot happened because of the sacrifice i made to complete the feature. For things to change we must do something different in our lives. And let me tell you, that "something" is stepping out of a comfort zone.

Believe me your heart will tell you when you are ready to tackle your 1rst feature. When it does don't ignore it, it will only make you go nuts! Artistic individuals cant ignore a calling for creating. Creating a short film is no where close to creating a feature. Its scary yes! but its that 1rst feature that teaches you amazing lessons and strategies of film making. In my opinion if you do have killer stories/scripts use the least one you like to make a feature. Use it as the key to to learn, make mistakes, fix them ect. This will prepare you for the better one on your next.

Did you write the script too?
You said the whole crew bailed.. did any of your actors bail? How long was production and did you film weekdays or just weekends?

I feel like I need a great short to inspire people before I try to make a feature. A short they can look at and say, this guy knows how to make a great film. I am going to keep showing up on time and put in a good effort to be in his next one!

Did you write the script too?
You said the whole crew bailed.. did any of your actors bail? How long was production and did you film weekdays or just weekends?

I feel like I need a great short to inspire people before I try to make a feature. A short they can look at and say, this guy knows how to make a great film. I am going to keep showing up on time and put in a good effort to be in his next one!

Yes, i wrote the script. Took me 2 months to write. I did not expect to write the best script just enough to push me to start. Crew bailed except for 2 of my friends. Unfortunately they had to go back to school just a month after i started filming and could not give me their time, which i understood. Luckily not one of my actors bailed on me. All stuck with me till the end loyally. This blew my mind! But the reason they stuck to me was because of the energy of confidence i gave them. I for not once made them feel as if i seemed lost or showed them any kind of stress in me. Every time that i felt like i was going to break down i would take a break in private and come back after i pieced myself back together again. Now the scariest part of filming this was when my lead's mother went to the hospital under critical condition. This happened half way through filming. I seriously thought i was going to lose him and would have to end production. It took me a full year to complete. and 6 months to edit the final draft. I would film a scene and come home at times and edit just to try and stay ahead. Since i did not pay my actors i had to schedule all my scenes around their schedule which at time became very hard. At one point i filmed from monday to sunday straight.

I do agree with filming short films. They make a wonderful tool in learning and sharpening the filmmaker's blade. They also serve as a key to show potential investors what you are capable of doing. And when you make your 1rst feature in near future, new short films that you will make after will serve as an even bigger key! Its like a video calling card.

I would like to add that keep the control in your own hands. Yes you might get someone to be your production assistant etc but after that person realizes that feature could take 20 shooting days the interest usually drops. Actors are different thing because at least in my projects actors are actually pulling the project forward with their attitude and interest to acting.

I would like to add that keep the control in your own hands. Yes you might get someone to be your production assistant etc but after that person realizes that feature could take 20 shooting days the interest usually drops.

That's why you pay people ;) Even covering petrol and parking costs goes a really long way. When I was first starting out, I'd have been happy to work for 20 days for free, as long as I didn't have to pay to work on the film (i.e. petrol, parking, expendables costs).

Back