• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

CG shot - need some feedback

Hi there folks, working on a short VFX video, integrating CG elements onto a live video.

Here is a little snapshot of Atlantis from Stargate Atlantis appearing in the sky behind the trees.

spaceshipexrrender.jpg

What do you think? I want it as realistic as possible, so if you got any feedback, I would love to hear. This is one of my first attempts using Vray as a renderer for 3DS Max using HDRI for lighting/texture.

I am fairly new with vray and the use of HDRI, got any sweet tips for a "semi-newbie"? :)

EDIT: I also got a question! I want to keyframe the rotation on the ship, but whenever I turn on "auto-key" or start keyframing manually, only the outer hull rotates, the towers and all that does not. It gets greyed out in 3DS Max. Why?

Last edited:
Yes, consider your exposure and darken the tree branches. Also, your branches appear very cut-out against your CG light sources. Google a technique called 'light wrap' and study some online reference (see attached).
sun-through-trees.jpg

Back