• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A Quick Slow-Mo Question

I want to take a shot at 30fps, then play it back at 25fps, in order to slow it just a little. That would mean I need to set my 30fps footage to play at 83.33333333333%. Fine. Got it. But when filming, are there any set ideas about what shutter speed to use? I assume I’d shoot for 180deg at the shooting frame rate; so 1/60 for 30fps. Should that be correct? Or is there something I’m missing?

Same goes with shooting at 50fps or 60fps; I should use 1/100 and 1/120 respectively, right?

My good friend Google seems to be leading me down two separate paths – one saying use a faster shutter speed, the other saying use a slower shutter speed.

I’ll be able to test this out myself on the weekend, try a few things, see what looks best. But are there any hard and fast rules for this? Are there any other factors I’m forgetting?

Cheers.

Well I'd imagine that because most high priced slow motion cameras such as the phantom flex shoot at such a high framerate anyway, and that the shutter speed is one that is a fraction of the framerate (such as 1/1000 at the lowest shutter speed for 1000fps), higher shutter speeds are not just the rule but the only option. At slower framerates, it's hard to say. Maybe go out and test like you're saying, that seems like the best way to me.

twice the framerate you are shooting at is the correct way:
Shooting 60fps at 1/120 'turns into' 25fps shot at 1/50 when slowed down to or interpreted by the software as 25fps.

The good old 180 degree shutter always applies if you want normal looking footage.
Shooting a 1000fps? -> shutter at 1/2000

In most NLE you can tell the software what fps a clip should be.
That way slowmotion will play at the appropriate framerate if the camera didn't save it as slowmotion, but as a clip with a high framerate.
The NLE sees a 60fps clip, you tell the software: 'no, it should be 25fps' and it will playback as slowmo without changing speed in the timeline. (And as a result it will be 2.4x longer.)

Interesting question. I suppose the best way to answer it is to do some test-footage. Probably faster and easier than googling.

In all honesty, though, I think it's probably a moo point. I don't suspect the difference in motion-blur will be noticeable. It will, however, be obvious that it's slo-mo (depending on what you're filming, I guess).

You know, the more I think about it, I don’t think it will make any kind of a noticeable difference. I’m only talking about going from 1/50 to 1/60. I guess I’ll just test it out and see how they look.

The NLE sees a 60fps clip, you tell the software: 'no, it should be 25fps' and it will playback as slowmo without changing speed in the timeline. (And as a result it will be 2.4x longer.)

This would be nice. However, I’m in Vegas 9 and I don’t think it has that option. I believe the only way is to state playback speed as a percentage. I’m a little worried that going from 30fps to 25fps, which requires a percentage of 83.333...% might cause an issue. There may be some stuttering, but I’m thinking it should be minimal.

It will, however, be obvious that it's slo-mo (depending on what you're filming, I guess).

I’m trying to film blood spraying into the air. When shot at full speed, it’s gone within a few frames. I’m just hoping that an additional couple of frames will make the blood more visible. Plus, since it’s only 83% of the speed, I’m hoping the slow-mo won’t be too noticeable.

Thanks all for your input!

How many shots and how long?
If it's just a few seconds I can interpret and render it for you.
If it's more, maybe someone else can help out: too much to do nowadays ;)

Walter - Thank you for the offer, but this is just test footage at the moment. I won't be shooting the actual footage for a couple of months. However, when the time comes, if I'm struggling, rest assured I'll be in touch!

Cheers!

Back