War Scene or Dream Sequence?

I am doing the final edits of a 2 hours script. It is a supernatural script with a love story in it, but includes a five minute war scene that comes ten minutes before the end. It is possible for me to rework the story from a certain point a half hour or so before the end so as to make it only a supernatural one with the love story, and insert aspects of the war scene into a dream sequence. It is probable that my war scene is too heavy even for the best of film critics who can influence their initial financing, so the dream sequence may be best, but I have been told that non-professionals with a first spec script ought to avoid dream sequences. I do not understand why I should omit the war scene while other people can make war films and have violence in their films, but I can't cut it down either. It either stays as it is or it comes out. Which do you think is best?

inetbuff,

leave it!

keep the script as you envision it. Then have it covered. You will get honest, and sometimes brutal, feedback - and if the scene presents a problem, you will hear it clearly. There are many things producers and agents look for and avoid when looking at scripts, and some use formulas to determine if it is worth developing the script. Some of the basic issues include: genre, expected MPAA rating, length, and cost. Of course, all assuming that the script is a great one!

Remember, PG and PG13 are easier to produce and finance for people new to the industry. This may not be an issue if you find an established producer to develop your sp. However, unfortunately - the rating is something most writers ignore, but it is a factor that may make or break the financing of a film.

We do not develop any R-rated movies unless, after significant analysis, we think that the sp is amazing and will make a profitable film. This is NOT a moral stand. It only has to do with profits and losses. R-rated movies make significantly less money and are significantly harder to finance and distribute.

Just my 2cents. Best wishes

Back