DVD Trading Post

Since Mike Conway (Scoopicman) suggested trading flicks among IndieTalk members, I've had the pleasure of doing so with a couple of film makers who also suggested we review each others' work. I am therefore starting this thread for just that purpose. I hope others will join in and help promote your IndieTalk peers' work! :yes:

Mike sent me several videos, but I've only been able to watch The Awakening so far. The film making style was similar to his more recent film, Exile (not surprisingly) but with a more tongue-in-cheek tone. A very ambitious production, the cast list was huge! In fact, there were so many uniformed characters with guns running down hallways (many of whom were the same actor, according to the behind-the-scenes doc :) ) I lost track of which paramilitary units were which and who was supposed to be shooting at whom. It didn't really matter, though, as the primary story was clear enough. There was some really creative use of effects, much of which I was oblivious to until watching the BTS doc. I liked the idea of turning the superhero myth on its head -- in more than one way, really: First, it's a female (anti)hero; 2nd, she becomes a not-so-nice person as a result of her transformation rather than a goody-twoshoes. Helps, too, that the lead actress is a professional model who filled out that impressive costume nicely! Like other reviewers have commented, the ending was a tease (I won't give it away, but those who've seen it know what I mean).

The second movie I watched was Lee Vervoort's (aceofspades70) Gun Town. It's something of a throwback to the slasher movies of the 1980's, a genre of which I was never particularly a fan so I'll just stick to the technical aspects. This is a very good-looking movie. The saturated colors and daytime setting are unusual and creative choices for a horror movie. The use of the prime lens adapter - a gizmo I only recently became aware of - gave the footage a shallow, film-like DoF. The location was amazing; what a fabulous asset to have for this type of production! Plus, like The Awakening, the leading lady was very easy on the eyes. :) There was one point in particular that took me out of the movie because of the way it was shot. Beware, spoilers ahead!
At the end, when the dad is on the water tower about to shoot the bad guy, I wasn't given a sense of the geography of the sequence, which made it really unclear about what was happening until it was over. I didn't realize the psycho had his kit on backwards until afterward, then I backed up and pieced the sequence together. A low angle looking toward the front (really the back) of the killer with the water tower over his shoulder and the dad taking aim would have solved it, I think.

Thanks, guys! I hope others will chime in on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mick, I totally missed this thread! Thanks for the feedback.

I've only been able to watch The Awakening so far. The film making style was similar to his more recent film, Exile (not surprisingly) but with a more tongue-in-cheek tone.

I'm writing an email to Erik, the writer, right now. That tone was definitely set by him. With his story and two more of us working on the script, I think it had a lot of cool bits to it.

I haven’t seen all of Scoopic’s Awakening or Tarrarium yet (DVD player went to a better place.), but from what I have seen, they are both very cool. I think some important film making factors are met in his work : Solid acting, decent set-up, worthwhile dialogue, attractive actresses and some spectacle.
He delivers a fine professionally packaged product as well.

-Thanks-

I watched Terrarium the other night. Of the three Mike Conway features I've watched now, I think this may be my favorite. The lead actor isn't quite as strong as the lead in Exile, and several scenes that would have required effects - principally the spacecraft launching and crash-landing - were simply left out of the movie, unlike Exile and The Awakening, which pretty much showed you everything. Since it's an earlier effort, I just chalked that up to Mike's learning curve. :)

What I really liked most was the story. Unlike the other 2 films, it maintained a sense of mystery throughout. While The Awakening and Exile set up their situations, then progressed through a series of events, Terrarium never gives the viewer any more information than the characters themselves have. You kind of know what's happening - if for no other reason than you read the title - but you're never quite sure what's going to happen next.

The one thing that stuck out a bit was the creature costume. Although it was only shown in fragments, it still came across as an ape suit. Because ape suits are so associated with comedy, it tended to dilute the sense of terror that might otherwise have been created in those scenes. Also, the ending is a bit abrupt. I wanted to know more about the alien world and what the consequences of the characters' actions would be.

The spacecraft set was quite impressive, and the way it was lit was very dramatic. As someone who has directed many stage plays, I felt like this script could possibly work well in that venue.

Last edited:
Thanks, Buddy.

and several scenes that would have required effects - principally the spacecraft launching and crash-landing - were simply left out of the movie, unlike Exile and The Awakening, which pretty much showed you everything. Since it's an earlier effort, I just chalked that up to Mike's learning curve.

Actually....... While this is the "same" movie, there won't be one shot familiar to you, in THIS scene.

I had no intention of showing spaceships flying. I wanted to do a different kind of sci-fi movie. I don't subscribe to the idea that "every story has been done." The idea of the captain choking on a hamburger and waking up actually choking cryo-fluid, thrilled me. The picnic scene was a dream and they had arrived! I was trying to make a "thinking man's" sci-fi movie, which also included how the movie ended. I did not want to show them living in tents, having children - but rather have their fates left up in the air.

Distributors did not understand this version of the movie. They only know that they want ships and explosions! So, Silver Nitrate (whose sales rep jumped companies, so it ended up at Lionsgate) demanded that I start with some action and show the alien planet, at the very beginning. I also responded to opinions about the press conference and dialogue scenes being long, so I made cuts. The result is WAR OF THE PLANETS (or TERRARIUM version 2). I'm sorry, that version got released, as the rushed FX job got a little bad mouthed and people weren't quite getting the characters, as you do in the version you and Buddy have. The Quality Control Reports from Lionsgate required many changes to original effects ("image anomalies") and sound, that the WOTP version really suffered. Your TERRARIUM DVD has better sound and visuals and much more character footage. (the captain's apartment, half the press conference and other scenes are missing in the WOTP version.) To meet quality control, I had to take out, or replace, a lot of the original (but more powerful) elements.

See this trailer for ship launch and crash scenes...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/otN5N42bGnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/otN5N42bGnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Though the special effects make for an exciting trailer, trust me, I sent you a far superior version of the movie. If you would like to see the WAR OF THE PLANETS version, there are a ton of copies on Amazon.com, starting at just a dollar and 41 cents!

WOTP on Amazon link

What I really liked most was the story. Unlike the other 2 films, it maintained a sense of mystery throughout............The spacecraft set was quite impressive, and the way it was lit was very dramatic. As someone who has directed many stage plays, I felt like this script could possibly work well in that venue.

Thankyou! This was shot 10 years ago. Someday, when the city isn't threatening to tear our set down and throw me in jail (watch the doc - A SPACESHIP IN THE BACKYARD, which is awesome), I would like to revisit this script, with some changes and more resources (as opposed to a gorilla suit).

As for the lead actor, that was Tim's first flick. You saw how much better he was, in THE AWAKENING, where he steals the whole show. It also helped that he wasn't totally dubbed, as was the case with TERRARIUM and it's silent 16mm camera. It's some of the best dubbing you've ever seen, but the acting is kind of weird because of it. We would shoot a video take to record audio, then we would do a take on film. No audio was recorded during the film takes, as the camera was way noisy.

You will see a lot of the set details in that documentary. Here it was, sitting in the backyard:

Spaceship.jpg

cryonauts.jpg

If you guys don't mind to go IMDB and give it a couple of votes. The people expecting a Tom Cruise movie really gave it a beating. :lol:

TERRARIUM IMDB

Last edited:
I don't mean that sort of thing so much as who were the alien captors? Were there more of them? Do they live there? Maybe I missed something...

Okay, gotcha. That is certainly something I would love to expand on in a remake - the underground network, the experiments, the size of that colony, how they harnessed the indigenous hairy creatures, etc. A lot of people weren't clear on the fact that the ape creature was put in with the astronauts to test their strength as a species. This was an evolved race, but not to the point that we couldn't fight them. They had stealth and we had nightvision, etc. :D

I'm glad that you liked it!

bagginganalien.jpg

The ship was made out of chipboard and 2"x 4"s. I wanted padding, like you see in NASA ships, except I went for black. We bought carpet padding (foam) from Home Depot and then bought black satin fabric, from a fabric store. We cut squares out of the foam and then wrapped them in black. The pads were staple gunned to the wood.

Just a reminder to you guys, KILLER'S LAIR is hidden on the Special Features' disc, on the menu page. Click on my wife's gun.

It's a telephone pole. To the left is the backboard of a basketball hoop. Kind of looks like a radar dish on the ship! The ironic thing about this "vast" desert scape of alien planet, is that it's just a backyard, in the middle of a neighborhood.

lol not the telephone pole and backboard.

Maybe you answered (chipboard and 2x4's) and I thought you meant the inside of the ship, sorry if that is the case. I will try again, what is the exterior of the ship (fuselage) made of?

-Thanks-

Exterior is made of 1/8" thick 4' x 8' white board. I forget what it's called exactly, but it is thin enough to bend into a semi-circular shape, hence the rounded look.

Back