• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ghostwriting services

Can anybody in this community recommend reliable/established ghostwriting services for a feature film/TV pilot?
Just so we understand each other:

Traditionally “ghostwriting” means a writer will write the feature/TV
pilot and not get any credit. They will not receive residuals or points
because their name in not on the the script. YOU will put you name
on it and receive all the credit and money.

Is that what you're looking for? I know of several ghostwriters I could
refer you too.

Welcome to IndieTalk's Screenwriting forum. I'm sure you'll get several offers to write. This forum is typically populated by writers, so we don't typically "refer out". ;) There are a variety of writers on this forum--writer/directors, award-winning screenwriters, writing consultants/script doctors, producers, new writers, etc. Are you looking for a local writer or can they work remotely? We have writers from around the world who contribute. What you may wish to do is describe the nature of the project--genre, turnaround time, nature of project (student, lo/no budget, SAG), etc.

There is also a marketing services forum (Classified Ads) where you can request services. IndieTalk members are discouraged from advertising their services in the discussion forums. Some here have worked as script consultants with production companies though many new writers are looking for opportunities to obtain writing credits. Are you open to new writers who may be willing to write for credit?

I know you are asking for a referral for such services. As you consider services, here are some items to keep in mind. In evaluating any writer, you will want to request a writing sample. You might also request a quick write-up of the first five pages from your logline to evaluate as a writing sample. If hiring a writer/director, you can often view a clip of their work in addition to the script. Understand that screenwriting a feature often occurs in three phases--initial draft, the revised draft based on feedback and a final polish. Depending on the terms of the contract, you may get a couple additional revisions for free. While ghostwriting is typically work-for-hire so you retain all copyright and can retain credits, there is sometimes an advantage to share credit. This is especially true with a series.

A series often requires the development of several episodes, season arc and a bible. Unlike a feature, there is an ongoing commitment. A series will often require additional writers if the series takes off. Having the writer on board helps provide story continuity needed through your first season and forward.

Wishing you continued success as you move forward with your project.

Hello LL...
I've done more than a dozen ghostwritten screenplays for author like yourself. It all begins with establishing your vision of the movie and characters and then delivering a draft that you review, then I polish to your liking. Feel free to contact me via witwriter2@gmail.com and we'll go from there.

Just so we understand each other:

Traditionally “ghostwriting” means a writer will write the feature/TV
pilot and not get any credit. They will not receive residuals or points
because their name in not on the the script. YOU will put you name
on it and receive all the credit and money.

Is that what you're looking for? I know of several ghostwriters I could
refer you too.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I am looking for someone established that has done a fair number of ghostwriting projects. Sophisticated writing and powerful dialogue a must. No newbies. Genre is drama, period piece set in the roaring 20s. Bible is already complete and there is an 8 page treatment of the pilot episode. If happy with the pilot, will order 2 more episodes to complete my pitch package.

Thanks! I am looking forward to your referrals! I am based in NY, fyi.

What you may wish to do is describe the nature of the project--genre, turnaround time, nature of project (student, lo/no budget, SAG), etc.

There is also a marketing services forum (Classified Ads) where you can request services. IndieTalk members are discouraged from advertising their services in the discussion forums.

While ghostwriting is typically work-for-hire so you retain all copyright and can retain credits, there is sometimes an advantage to share credit.

Wishing you continued success as you move forward with your project.

Thanks for your help and introduction to the forum FantasySciFi, I will post in Classified Ads then. There is budget for this, I will definitely pay, there is a series bible already and an 8 page pilot treatment, as well as Season 1 and 2 series development treatments. The genre is drama, set in the roaring 20s, it is female driven but with powerful male characters, so I would want someone that can write both. As I mentioned before, I am looking for someone with experience in ghostwriting, and capable of writing great dialogue (and period piece dialogue...), this is not a project for a new writer trying to get credit. I already have a clear vision of the series and series development, I need someone to write the pilot episode out of the treatment.

If you can refer me to anyone that fits that profile, do let me know. Thanks!

Back