• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Character Feedback Please!

Hello All,
I am writing a story that is driven by anti-heroes. A friend told me that the "anti-heroes journey" is different than the "heroes journey". My first question, I am wondering if any of you have a chart diagram on how the anti-hero develops in a screenplay.

Also, I am needing some general feedback on one of my characters.
The movie is about the two characters and how they are disdainful of an institution... they both want to take action, but one takes it much too far - and forces the other "protagonist" to join him in violence. He starts out being resistant to the psychopathic antagonist, trying to stop his psychopathic plans. But, midway through the second act, the protagonist develops some sort of Stockholm syndrome and joins the antagonist in his plans. (until the end where he snaps out of it - and remembers what is right).

I am concerned about the structure - although it is interesting, I am wondering if I am breaking some sort of rule. Is it possible that your protagonist can join your antagonist mid way through the movie.. and maybe, some other character takes on the original motivation that the protagonist had to begin with? A movie that comes to mind with this kind of structure is Karate Kid 3... When Daniel becomes an a**hole, and steals mr miagi's tree, and turns towards "the dark side", until he is brought back to reality when he reaches his lowest point. I know that it is possible to do this kind of structure, but what worries me is the fact that I hated Karate kid 3. :lol:

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,
PWR

Your friend was perhaps seeing the anti-hero movie as a melodrama. Then at plot point two it looks promising for the hero, but the end is not satisfactory.

Everything is possible, so don't be too aware of rules. Why couldn't the protagonist join the antagonist half way in? To introduce the hero half way in? That would not be normal for a spec script.

Hello All,
I am writing a story that is driven by anti-heroes. A friend told me that the "anti-heroes journey" is different than the "heroes journey". My first question, I am wondering if any of you have a chart diagram on how the anti-hero develops in a screenplay.
The anti-hero's journey (AHJ) parallels the hero's journey except the "hero" makes bad choices that ultimately lead to his destruction or loss without redemption. The shift from Anakin to Vader or the shift of Michael Corleone from service man to mafia don are examples. The events are often negative and the "anti-hero" makes poor choices that lead to consequences that further drive him down the "dark path".

Also, I am needing some general feedback on one of my characters.
The movie is about the two characters and how they are disdainful of an institution... they both want to take action, but one takes it much too far - and forces the other "protagonist" to join him in violence. He starts out being resistant to the psychopathic antagonist, trying to stop his psychopathic plans. But, midway through the second act, the protagonist develops some sort of Stockholm syndrome and joins the antagonist in his plans. (until the end where he snaps out of it - and remembers what is right).
Well, technically he's not an antagonist since they are working together. The people working against them or possibly the institution is (are) the antagonist(s). While the Jedi were against Palpatine, Anakin was in fact aligned from fear of losing Padme. In the end, he still lost Padme through his own anger. While your protagonist may "save the day" it must come with great loss if it is AHJ.

I am concerned about the structure - although it is interesting, I am wondering if I am breaking some sort of rule. Is it possible that your protagonist can join your antagonist mid way through the movie.. and maybe, some other character takes on the original motivation that the protagonist had to begin with? A movie that comes to mind with this kind of structure is Karate Kid 3... When Daniel becomes an a**hole, and steals mr miagi's tree, and turns towards "the dark side", until he is brought back to reality when he reaches his lowest point. I know that it is possible to do this kind of structure, but what worries me is the fact that I hated Karate kid 3. :lol:

Any feedback would be great!
Thanks, PWR
It's important to distinguish between "story" and "structure". Structure is about the pacing. Story is about the narrative. They tend to overlap. Many popular teachers treat them as the same for instructional purposes; they are not. Non-linear story structures (Memento, Butterfly Effect, Usual Suspects, etc.) are just as valid but not taught to novice screenwriters. You teach someone to add before teaching them trig and calculus. Your story sounds basic and would follow the standard structure covered in basic writing courses.

The narrative tentpoles, the transitions, typically will always fall between the acts. The "act structure" is hotly debated with no agreement. However, there is a consensus that you need to introduce your characters and story, present your story, then wrap it up somehow. Even in a non-linear presentation, these elements are present. There are no "rules" just guidelines. However, proper formatting is always important. There, you'll find more defined guidelines or "rules". On the creative side, the story and structure, it's fairly open. My advice is that you start off with a positive for your lead protagonist, a neutral for your psychopathic protagonist and something negative for your institution. You want to set up interest and sympathies early on. You want to start the rollercoaster ride with energy. Good luck.

That was a great help! I am about a day away from finishing the beats of the second act (outline).. I already know the ending, so just need to build the bridge to the third act and retouch the first act.. This has been 3 months of (sometimes) agonizing brainstorming.. and mental resistance.. This is actually the first time I have done it "the right way", and wrote the outline first. I don't think it will take very long to write the script! Very excited.. Thanks all (all two of you that is)..

Back