New style of Film School - the working studio

Seems that a certain Texan film school is literally turning into a functional hands-on film studio... complete with multi-million dollar budgets to play with for larger-than-life student films.

I guess everything in Texas really is big! :shock:

Here is the whole article: NY Times Link

Heres a quote:

So over the next three years the university says it plans to make at least eight movies, some with budgets of more than $3 million, that it hopes will attract distributors and moviegoers around the country. To underscore its seriousness, it has attracted several well-known movie names to serve on the film program's advisory board, including Mr. McConaughey, Richard Linklater and Mike Simpson, an executive vice president of the William Morris Agency, which has agreed to help find distributors and backers for the movies.

Who'd like to work (or even teach) at a film school like that?! :P

Man, the Times is sloooooooowwwwwwww. That's old news, I covered that story in January.

You know, UT Film school is overrated as far as I'm concerned. For every Robert Rodriguez and Richard Linklater that came out ofn that program there are a couple thousand idiots who run around Austin trying to get a movie made about tree sap. This is just gonna worsen matters, now the tree sap movies will star J. Lo.

Poke

Back