• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch News Man - comedy for people who probably don't like superhero movies!

I'd like to present to you all - a 17 minute comedy pilot - possibly for those who question the logic of all these superhero films, that particularly plays on the questionable trend of having all superheros themed (spiders, bats, cats, Americans?)

This is News Man - about a British Television News Reporter who is hit by a blast from a 'radioactive teleprompter' (Just as plausible as a radioactive spider ) and becomes a news-themed superhero!

This was written, directed, and edited by myself, with all the sound and music by myself (including every instrument from bass to tambourine played by me!) and I'm even in the episode...

So here we go, it's taken a lot of work and effort - on a budget of less than £50, so yes - please take a look if you like obscure humor! Thanks very much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMtXjvtpis

I'd like to present to you all - a 17 minute comedy pilot - possibly for those who question the logic of all these superhero films, that particularly plays on the questionable trend of having all superheros themed (spiders, bats, cats, Americans?)

This is News Man - about a British Television News Reporter who is hit by a blast from a 'radioactive teleprompter' (Just as plausible as a radioactive spider ) and becomes a news-themed superhero!

This was written, directed, and edited by myself, with all the sound and music by myself (including every instrument from bass to tambourine played by me!) and I'm even in the episode...

So here we go, it's taken a lot of work and effort - on a budget of less than £50, so yes - please take a look if you like obscure humor! Thanks very much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMtXjvtpis

I thought I was being clever by recognising the filming location within the few minutes, but then you included the DMU logo so after that it didn't seem like that big a mystery to solve :lol:

Impressive for the budget though, and kudos to you for putting all those skills into it. The humour wore thin quite quickly. The show it reminded me of most is a tamer Toast of London, with lots of over enunciation, and frequent surrealism. I did laugh out loud three or four times in 17 minutes, which is a fairly good return.

The girl (with the silent K) is also very beautiful, even if she did used to be a boy :lol:

I thought I was being clever by recognising the filming location within the few minutes, but then you included the DMU logo so after that it didn't seem like that big a mystery to solve :lol:

Impressive for the budget though, and kudos to you for putting all those skills into it. The humour wore thin quite quickly. The show it reminded me of most is a tamer Toast of London, with lots of over enunciation, and frequent surrealism. I did laugh out loud three or four times in 17 minutes, which is a fairly good return.

The girl (with the silent K) is also very beautiful, even if she did used to be a boy :lol:

Haha thanks, the DMU logos we started scrubbing out in After Effects and then - obviously now we see that this was naively - we just started realizing it probably wasn't worth it because nobody would notice them! But... you did :')

Yeah, it's probably a bit over-long at the moment, it's the first production I've attempted to give any breathing space beyond the primary (thin) plot, but it was at least supposed to serve as an introductory episode.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Haha thanks, the DMU logos we started scrubbing out in After Effects and then - obviously now we see that this was naively - we just started realizing it probably wasn't worth it because nobody would notice them! But... you did :')

Yeah, it's probably a bit over-long at the moment, it's the first production I've attempted to give any breathing space beyond the primary (thin) plot, but it was at least supposed to serve as an introductory episode.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

To be honest, the area code on the "For Sale" boards gave it away before the DMU logo :), as well as those familiar road signs (I spend a lot of time in Leicester). That DMU logo in particular was a little problematic as you had just come out of a building with a particular name only for it to be immediately shown as something else.

So did you make this for a uni project? Or is there an amateur filmmakers' collective in Leicester? That would be worth knowing, if the latter... :)

So did you make this for a uni project? Or is there an amateur filmmakers' collective in Leicester? That would be worth knowing, if the latter... :)

Yes and no -

One of our final year projects for Post-Production (basically After Effects work) required the composition of a trailer for a hypothetical film.

While everyone was doing suspenseful horrors and supernatural films - I was the only person who chose to do a comedy. Pete, who I cast in the lead role was great - and loads of people loved the original 3 minute trailer (which is now about a year old) - so Pete approached me to help write this as a full episode- and we started shooting this in May. Graduated from university in July but the uni have been helpful anyway!

So that's about it really! We'll have to take note of background details that identify the location next time for sure!

Back