I'm a bit new to the World of Film

Well the only place to start is the begininning. I'm a 17 year old with aspirations of becoming somewhat famous and successful in the world of film and screenwriting. My friend and I have begun collaborating, brainstorming, and storyboarding on a movie we've thought up. Since I really have to place to start, I thought I'd just ask some basics. What does it take to get started in the film business? I know its a bit of an open question, and any type of answer is appreciated, as we could use all the help we can get. To tell you the truth, its a comedy, and thus has quite a bit of crude teenage humor. It could be compared to Super Troopers, since it pokes fun at the police, plus has a lot of things that would be funnier to a younger audience. In our eyes it has the potential to be a success, but who knows, we might just have a poor sense of humor. Thanks in advance for the help.

welcome to indietalk! I'm sort of new to this too be im learning so i'll ive you as much info as i can. First you will want to write the screenplay(script) nad get it registered at the WGA(writer's guild of america). Then you will need to figure out a budget so that you know what your limits are. Then you might want to start looknig for locations. After that is when you will want to start looking for a crew and a cast. This is a basic summary of what you need to get started if ou have any questions feel free to ask. i hope this helps you out in anyway.

~Jonathon

WGA = WOM (waste of money)

Don’t register with the WGA. It’s a waste of money. It only costs $30, one copy, and postage to get a legally enforceable copyright from the Library of Congress. WGA registration is not a legally enforceable platform should someone try to steal your idea. All the WGA does is put a date stamp from a third party on it and file it. You might as well mail yourself a copy for all it’s worth. Why not get the Library of Congress to do the same thing - it’s a lot more useful? Go to http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ for all the details.

Re: LOC = SAH (slow as hell)

film8ker said:
Don’t register with the WGA. It’s a waste of money. It only costs $30, one copy, and postage to get a legally enforceable copyright from the Library of Congress. WGA registration is not a legally enforceable platform should someone try to steal your idea. All the WGA does is put a date stamp from a third party on it and file it. You might as well mail yourself a copy for all it’s worth. Why not get the Library of Congress to do the same thing - it’s a lot more useful? Go to http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ for all the details.

Many agents and producers require you to register your script with the WGA. It's accepted pretty much industry wide. It's much quicker than getting a registered copyright, as well.

Register with the WGA.

- Mike.

A copyright will hold up better in court, more case law. If you want to sue someone over copyright infringement, you have to first own the copyright ;) If you want to cover all bases, do both; WGA, and LOC.

Back