movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Reservoir Dogs directed by Quentin Tarantino - 9/10
A very entertaining film, I love how it builds up so much dramatic tension with just a few characters in a room. The film is bogged down by some of those flashback scenes, I don't like most of them even though I wish Tarantino would employ non-linear structure here as well as he does in Pulp Fiction. I do like how the beginning scenes are re-contextualized in the end though. I am a little concerned with Tarantino's use of racially offensive terms (especially when he accuses John Ford of being racist, which is stupid) and Tarantino's love of torture in his films. Still, I have to say I loved the movie as a whole though not as much as Pulp Fiction. I have to say that ending was awesome too, it felt very John Woo-esque to me with its form of melodrama within the world of gangsters.

Last edited:
Carrie 2013 - 5/10
Meh... watch it.
Don't watch it.
Pretty much a current rehash of the original which was already meh.

Riddick - 6/10
Fair return to the first installment's attrition film in a confined environment.
Certainly lacked the scope of 'Chronicles', which I was honestly looking forward to on how he dealt with inheriting an empire, but the writers/producers ditched that albatross PDQ.
That said, I can easily see this being edited for television and being shown on TNT for every blue-collar family gathering holiday!
Also, IDK why the director/producers made this rated R, maybe just for R's sakes. Coulda easily been PG-13.

Machette Kills - 3/10
Requires too much charity to watch.
Advise to pass, even for a RR film.

The Hunt - 6/10
Eh... the reviews are outstanding for this, and I guess in my more evocative youth this very well produced story would have had more sway, but I'm no longer moved by these f*died up slices of life stories.
I can't even call it dysfunction as entertainment - which I loathe.
If you like well produced stories of tragically f*cked up situations then you'll like this.
You might as well bookend it with 'Nothing But The Truth.'

How I Live Now - 5/10
Snore-fest.
Watched half an hour of it, punched out the DVD, read the wiki synopsis, saved myself an hour.
SCORE!
:lol: OMG, I love these : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1894476/board/nest/221992641?ref_=tt_bd_2

Austenland 8.5/10
Very nice indie film.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's a SciFi action junkie like me liking this Hallmark Channel-esque light romcom?
IDK.
But I can recommend it as a the best of this lot. ;)

Last edited:
I get a rolling chuckle out of #29

29. An American teenager (stuck-up b!tch no less, well, till the finger-sucking and stream dunking at least) from New York, can expertly navigate unknown woods using a compass and map, and later when she loses them, can put her head to the ground to invoke the spirit of the hawk which will then lead her home.

:lol:

I oughtta read more of these "100 things I learned" comments.

WTF was that fish story?! :lol:

Yeah, Shawshank is fine and all, but I really don't understand why it warrants such a high IMDB ranking. Whatevs.

Last edited:
Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery directed by Jay Roach - 7/10
A fun entertaining movie. I like its style, it takes elements of Swinging London but takes it in a distinctive comedic approach. I didn't like how some unfunny jokes were so drawn out though lol, maybe that's the style of humor in this film sometimes. When I was younger I just liked the sillyness of the sex jokes and the James Bond parody in this film, but now I actually noticed and liked the parodies of Blow-Up and A Hard Day's Night. I love how colorful this movie is, it's just so crazy.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High directed by Amy Heckerling; written by Cameron Crowe - 8/10
A very fun charming teen comedy. I was a bit disappointed though since I read that this film was stronger than those of John Hughes. I love the ensemble cast and how it captures so much of high school life in one film. There is also a lot of awesome scenes in the film. I absolutely loved the ending. This was a very fun movie to watch, I just feel it lacked transcendent moments. Still, I like especially how this film is based on real life stories so it's really authentic and it never over-dramatizes the lives of these teenagers. I'm never going to be able to see Sean Penn again without picturing Spicoli though, but that's a good thing lol.

Night And Fog directed by Alain Resnais - 10/10
One of the most haunting films I have ever seen and it is now one of my 'favorite' films of all-time (I say 'favorite' because I think it is one of the most brilliant films I've seen but I didn't enjoy watching its horrifying images). There's not much to say except that I think everyone in the world should watch this film for its powerful images and its take on an event that changed history forever.

Sleeper directed by Woody Allen - 8/10
I've been watching Woody Allen's filmography chronologically and I love seeing him develop as a filmmaker. For me this is his most interesting early film, yet it's also one of his weaker ones. I love the concept of the film, and his comedic critique of the past and the future but I find the film to have a lot more misses than his earlier comedic efforts. There is much greater visual development here though, and I think that Allen has greater ideas in this film than in his other efforts but they aren't very well-executed. I love the way the film plays out like a silent comedy, I like the idea of Woody Allen doing sci-fi, I like Allen's usual intellectual and cinematic references, I like the romantic element, but I feel like it all could've been done better. So far I haven't yet seen a masterpiece from Woody Allen but I'm confident that his more revered works such as Annie Hall and Manhattan will probably be masterpieces since I can already tell that he's very talented.

James I think you watch as many movies as I do. haha

Sophies Choice 3/5
Not incredible but definitely not bad. Solid movie about a woman's life after being in a nazi death camp

A Scanner Darkly 3/5
Trippy animation. I had to look up how they did it, it was so bizarre. Another solid movie.. robert downey jr was fantastic in it.

Glengarry Glen Ross directed by James Foley; written by David Mamet - 9/10
This is such a brilliant film! I'll write more about it in the IT Movie Club thread but I just have to mention that this film has brilliant dialogue and it succeeded in engaging me in a subject that I thought was going to be boring lol. The acting is of course, incredible! I don't think many mention how brilliant Foley's directing is though, I loved his use of the camera and the pace of the editing he used in some scenes. That pace of editing and style of shooting reminds me a lot of Howard Hawks, which is pretty awesome.

127 Hours 3/5
I enjoyed this although it was strange how some of the shots had a different shutter speed. I didn't understand why it went to jumpy here and there.

Dallas Buyers Club 4/5
Great movie! Although kaposi sarcoma was strange absent in this story about AIDS.

The Uninvited (1944) - 3/10
Didn't do anything for me.
Slow and plodding.
Looks gorgeous.
:sleep:

You're Next - 5/10
It's a nice essentially one and a half location film.
Cliché motivation.
Absolutely retarded execution of family murder plan.
Paid "professionals" using crossbows and sledge-axes? For really?
And a mystery badass GF! Who knew?!
It's like... John McClain! IN YOUR HOUSE! AT A DINNER PARTY!
:rolleyes:
Whatever.

Le retour a la raison directed by Man Ray - 9/10
Yes! More great experimental film! This film does what Luis Buñuel was doing with Un Chien Andalou several years before, only it's more Dadaist than surrealistic. I love how this film shows Man Ray's vision for cinema, his vision was to make something more akin to moving paintings. I really like the way he juxtaposes images and cuts them so rapidly. The music on the version I saw made the experience even better. The only reason I don't give this film a 10 is because I've seen other experimental films that I like more, and I'm sure Man Ray came up with something even greater than this film.

Visite a Oscar Dominguez directed by Alain Resnais - 6/10
One of Resnais' really early works, nothing special here. Just a film capturing the artistic process of Oscar Dominguez. The film feels almost structureless and doesn't give any real insight into the artist, so it's nothing special. I would've rated it lower if it weren't for my interest in art and in watching silent films that lack a soundtrack.

I'll concede I'm pretty narrow in my own interests, but I do consider beyond that and a film's own context.

I like my films like donuts and/or Hondas: just pure entertainment and/or well designed.

A film should be entertaining.
A film should be well designed.

Dysfunction as entertainment ('Place Beyond the Pines') irritates me to no living end.
Ugly sh!t just to be ugly ('Prisoners') doesn't entertain me.
And some films are just plain missable; see 'em, don't see 'em, your life will not be any better or worse whether you do or don't see it.
If I'd be embarrassed having recommended it it probably wasn't a good film.
If the first half-hour is just setting up the story I'm already bored to death.

In the last six months I scored the following above 6:
'Austenland' 8.5
'Battle Royale' 8 as history, 7 as entertainment.
'Desolation of Smaug' 8.5
'The World's End' 7
'The Seven Samurai' 7
'Parkland' 9/10 if you liked 'Zero Dark Thirty', 6/10 if you don't really care for historical faux-documentaries
'Man of Steel' 8
'Pacific Rim' 7
'The Heat' 9.5
'This Is The End' 9
'Warm Bodies' 8.5
'The Hidden Fortress' 6.5
'War Games' 10
'Evil Dead' (2013) General audience: 7/10, Horror audience 8/10
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' 7

I don't think I'd be embarrassed recommending any of those to appropriate audiences.

Can't say a "must see" recommendation of 'The Purge' + 'You're Next' twofer is going to garner any street cred from anyone not regularly wearing a dark hoodie. :lol:

How about yourself?
You're a pretty accomplished film watcher.
By what metrics do you judge a film's merit and in what context? :)

I'll concede I'm pretty narrow in my own interests, but I do consider beyond that and a film's own context.

I like my films like donuts and/or Hondas: just pure entertainment and/or well designed.

A film should be entertaining.
A film should be well designed.

Dysfunction as entertainment ('Place Beyond the Pines') irritates me to no living end.
Ugly sh!t just to be ugly ('Prisoners') doesn't entertain me.
And some films are just plain missable; see 'em, don't see 'em, your life will not be any better or worse whether you do or don't see it.
If I'd be embarrassed having recommended it it probably wasn't a good film.
If the first half-hour is just setting up the story I'm already bored to death.

In the last six months I scored the following above 6:
'Austenland' 8.5
'Battle Royale' 8 as history, 7 as entertainment.
'Desolation of Smaug' 8.5
'The World's End' 7
'The Seven Samurai' 7
'Parkland' 9/10 if you liked 'Zero Dark Thirty', 6/10 if you don't really care for historical faux-documentaries
'Man of Steel' 8
'Pacific Rim' 7
'The Heat' 9.5
'This Is The End' 9
'Warm Bodies' 8.5
'The Hidden Fortress' 6.5
'War Games' 10
'Evil Dead' (2013) General audience: 7/10, Horror audience 8/10
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' 7

I don't think I'd be embarrassed recommending any of those to appropriate audiences.

Can't say a "must see" recommendation of 'The Purge' + 'You're Next' twofer is going to garner any street cred from anyone not regularly wearing a dark hoodie. :lol:

How about yourself?
You're a pretty accomplished film watcher.
By what metrics do you judge a film's merit and in what context? :)

Haha, that's a pretty complex method of rating films lol. I've got to say I'm impressed!

Well, I judge films very subjectively according to what I know about film and my personal connection to a film. For example, I gave Requiem For A Dream a lower score because I found it to be too derivative of an older film (I also didn't care too much for the characters). Also, the Man Ray film I just reviewed got a lower score because of my experience in watching other experimental films, and because I just feel like Man Ray has a career that suggests that he made better films. I think I did the same with Woody Allen, I wouldn't give Take The Money And Run a 9/10 knowing that this is the same man who made Annie Hall, Manhattan, and other classics.

I think I have a very wide-range of tastes in cinema. I love genre films, I love European art films, I love a good Hollywood film (unfortunately I feel there haven't been too many since the 80's), I love Asian films, I love experimental cinema, I love documentaries, and I'm willing to explore African cinema and just any type of cinema. The only thing holding me back is the amount of time I have and what films are available to me!

I place a lot of emphasis on technique though, because technique enhances my appreciation. I think this is why I love directors like Yasujiro Ozu or Wong Kar-Wai, they have a very specific cinematic language that they express over and over again. I rarely like films that don't have good technique, I find those to be boring filmed plays. I always say I hate 'plot' but I love 'story.' I think that's not an 100% accurate statement for me, but it does a decent job at summing up my beliefs about cinema. Most people care what the film is about, and it's message, I don't, I care about how the story was told. Also, most people like a story to go from A to B, and then C, the end. Most of the time that bores me, especially in newer films when I know there are guys out there pushing boundaries in narrative cinema. And I'm not just talking about nonlinear structures, I just prefer my stories to linger, instead of providing me a roller coaster experience that has been done a million times.

I think that you can call me a very patient viewer. I really like slow films, I think that they do a much better job at showing me real characters and a real world rather than just take me through a roller coaster ride. I generally don't like a roller coaster ride in real life, and it's the same with movies. If the movie is just taking me through a plot, I feel like it'd be nearly impossible for me to give it more than an 8/10. It has to do something to stand out.

I don't think much about recommending films to others around me, since I feel most of them don't appreciate cinema. As great as The Maltese Falcon is, I know I'd have to tie some of my friends and family members down just to for them to watch that film just because it's in black & white.

I'm one of the raters that gives the highest scores I've ever known. I think in October and November I gave more 10's than any other rating lol. I think it's just, I'm extremely selective when choosing what I want to watch usually because I have so many movies available to me, I rarely want to make time for films I think will be junk. I also like films from both perspectives, as art and as entertainment. However, I wouldn't say that a film that I feel is both is automatically better, films just have different goals and different audiences to appeal. The only difference is that I happen to be an audience member that finds a ton of cinema appealing.

I guess I somewhat think of context when I rate. For example, I wouldn't judge a Jackie Chan film the same way I'd judge an Ingmar Bergman film. They're doing two completely different things, and I love them both. But if I want Bergman to do what Jackie does, well then Bergman fails, and viceversa. But beyond that I think I don't try to rate FOR an audience. I do believe that a film reviewer should review with the target audience's context in mind, but me personally, on Indietalk I review just personally, and I want to be a director/critic so I don't have to write in this style. I may mention that the film would appeal to others, but this wouldn't reflect in the final rating.

I sometimes am unsure about a rating. The discussion I had about Requiem For A Dream was one of those times when I was really unsure. But sometimes I realize I rated something a little too highly or a little to low, so I change my rating on websites without really discussing it. I think film has to resonate in the long-term to truly be great so I never know how I truly feel about a film until later. I almost never give bad ratings though lol, I know there are horrible films out there but I don't usually choose to watch them. I'll say one thing though, I would much rather watch a film like Santa Claus Conquers The Martians than have to sit through one of those mediocre dramas that have nothing new to say or no unique artistic quality; that film is just a billion times more entertaining lol.

Last edited:
Back