Forget WAB, use FilmFreeway!

I'm new here and am perusing threads and seeing lots of recommendations for WAB. Is FilmFreeway not that well known around here yet?

No, I'm not a FilmFreeway employee. I'm a filmmaker. I was only recently alerted to it last month and absolutely love it. Soooo much better than WAB. In fact, WAB just dropped charging a screener fee due to FilmFreeway.

I highly recommend checking them out.

Never heard of it. But their website UI is definitely heads and tails above WAB. That user-friendliness alone appeals. I'll keep them in mind, especially if it's any cheaper.

Any word on how they treat the festivals themselves? I've heard some complaints that WAB isn't very nice to them. And I'll always choose to support the nice guy/gal over the a-hole when given the chance :)

The only "potential" (and I stress potential) problem that I see with FF is that virtually ANYONE can sign up as a "festival" for free, and start collecting entry fees from filmmakers...so the guy down on the corner can set up a projector in his garage and call himself a "film festival"...or worse yet, collect entry fees and not have a festival AT ALL. Lots of filmmakers can be left holding the bag. FilmFreeway is located in Canada, so any lawsuits will be difficult... Just sayin'

If you want to compare withoutabox to film freeway...WAB has a $500 signup fee for festivals (to eliminate the serious festivals from the no-budgets). WAB requires a PAID website (not a FREE website such as weebly or facebook). These are little safeguards to weed out the serious festivals with working capital from the wannabes who hope to book a theatre only if they take in enough money.
Maybe FilmFreeway is fine. Maybe not. Time will tell. WAB also offers filmmakers an automatic IMDB page, FF does not.

Last edited:
FilmFreeway's home page says "browse 1,445 festivals". When you browse currently open festivals the count is 724.

WithoutABox's home page says "Discover more than 5,000 festivals across six continents". But it also says "Securely submit films, forms, & fees online to 850 festivals".

So WAB looks like it lists more total festivals, but not all of them allow submission through them. FF appears to only list festivals that accept submissions through the site. Either way, there are plenty of festivals to choose on both sites.

Frankly I'm glad to see a viable modern competitor to WaB - all other issues aside, it's a terrible site from a functional perspective and incredibly outdated. I've only submitted to a couple of festivals through them years ago and mostly just gave up because it wasn't worth the trouble.

Back