• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

4k RED Footage To Try Out

There has been a lot of talk about RED digital cinema and 4k images over the past year or so, but not everyone has actually seen the difference between a RED 4k image and any other HD or SD video footage for themselves to see what the fuss is all about. So, we thought that it would be a good idea to provide an opportunity for everyone to play with the real deal, we have just made three video clips from our ongoing "4 Million Views of San Francisco" library available for free download and use so that anyone interested in finding out first hand exactly what a RED 4k image file looks like and how it behaves when edited can do so - and you are welcome to use the files in your own projects at no charge.

If you go to http://www.REDfilm.us you can see three RED clips in a 820kbps H264 format, click on the links below each and you will be able to download a 4k ProRes HQ files of each of these that you can edit in any program, and have access to download the original RED R3d so that you can see the incredible control you have over these in REDCine or REDalert! And test out a few workflow paths.

We hope you enjoy the experience and would be very interested in hearing your feedback…

Chris.

CLAi
Santa Cruz
chris@CLAi.tv
www.CLAi.tv
www.REDfilm.us
www.REDontheROAD.com

The footage looks great. However, I would have loved to see an example of an interior shot, composed and lit. Exterior day shots don't do it for me as much as seeing a stylized interior shot. But hey...I'm just being difficult.

It's very cool of you to allow people to download the actual file and fool around with it.

Cheers.

Did you already uplod the footage to redrelay.net? It's a great site that has tons of red-footage. Also some green screen shots in 4k r3d.

RED footage

Hi Guys

Glad you are enjoying the experience - and there is certainly a wealth of footage on redrelay.net for you to see all sorts of different clips that show different aspects of the RED's capability, but it is usually just one RAW clip or a 2k clip. What I really wanted to do was to give you guys a chance to follow the process yourself, from how it looks as a regular web video for one delivery media, to how it looks in 4k Prores HQ after correction as a final product, and then let you see what demands this puts on an edit system and how you work with it, and finally go back to the start of the process and give you matching 4k RAW clips to try to get them from RAW to the Prores HQ files for editing - and discover the myriad of ways you can do that, along with some of the pitfalls of each of these. In order to do that the type of footage matters a lot less than the challenges the process creates... so three everyday exteriors of recognisable locations in regular california daylight seemed a good place to start, because everyone knows what they should look like, and can try to get to the same result more easily!

It's funny how when I talk about RED workflow (and it could just as easily be any of the 2k or 4k digital cinema products) to people in our industry they have a tendency to say that it is not rocket science and anyone who can operate Final Cut can edit it, or shoot with HDV can shoot it... one of the reasons for making and posting this material is that actually doing it well is more like rocket science than riding a bike - it's like the touch of a good colorist... yes anyone can wobble three or four balls around on a console in the dark, but getting the perfect result takes a little bit more skill than that!

So, please do try this footage out, guys, and see not only what 4k quality is all about, but also get a feel for the incredible flexibility that the digital cinema medium offers and some of the challenges that you are likely to face in getting the most from the footage... it is an awful lot of fun!!!!

Chris.

Chris...thanks for clarifying that exterior daytime concept for the website. I understand where you are coming from completely. I was just more excited about seeing interior stylized stuff...but that isn't the point of this resource.

Thanks again.

Back