• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

About music copyright laws...

Hi there, I'm an independent filmmaker from Argentina and I was wondering if I must purchase copyright music rights when I make movies without commercial intentions. The only intention would be to send it to festivals and after that maybe try to sell it. Sending it to festivals also demands the adquisition of music rights?

The best scenario for us would be that we could use any music and if someone wants to buy our film then we pay for the rights (deal with the buyer...)

Thanks for the info!

Well, trying to sell a film is a commercial intention, so you need to have the rights before you try. You can't say "here is my film with all this commercial music I don't have the rights to" and expect a sale.

Well, the first intention would be to position the film in the festival's circuit. Selling it would be an opportunity, and if the opportunity arises then the film owner could buy the rights and sell it.

Oh okay. Festivals exhibit films and charge for entry so they have to make sure of that, yeah.

Well, the first intention would be to position the film in the festival's circuit. Selling it would be an opportunity, and if the opportunity arises then the film owner could buy the rights and sell it.
What if the music rights aren't available?
What if the music rights were very, very expensive?

I think this could cause problems if the opportunity arises.

Back