• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Exact words from Sky Copeland Regarding Indie Filmmakers!!!

The fact that the mods or the owner haven't already removed this thread makes me think that they do not intend to do so.

So you win.

But I doubt that you really do win.

Yes, it looks to me that your success is enough to move some other members to overlook your ill behavior on this forum. Or, maybe they have other reasons. I can't say.

Yes, I understand that you won't care what I think about this, especially given that I am not and no doubt will never be a working professional in the film business.

But, I've seen enough. I would go out of my way to, I would make a point to never work with you, to never work for you, to never help promote you, and to never help to fund you.

I can't be the only one, can I?

If not, then it would be a mercy to you if management wiped this thread from existence.

But you know what? Maybe they're doing everyone a favor by not doing so: a public service. Or, as the case may be, a professional service. Maybe, whether its their intention, or not, maybe they're giving you all the rope you need...

Good luck.

:lol:

As far as I can tell this thread actually made the site money. He's a premium member now.

I'm neither condemning or condoning his behavior, I don't want to be a part of the pissing match that's been going on in this thread.

It's fun sometimes though to sit on the sidelines.

:lol:

As far as I can tell this thread actually made the site money. He's a premium member now.

I'm neither condemning or condoning his behavior, I don't want to be a part of the pissing patch that's been going on in this thread.

It's fun sometimes though to sit on the sidelines.

Take a read back through the replies and you'll see the true aggressors. You see that I'm not attacking you, or even the ones attacking me. Only defending my position.

Can't blame me for posting the following link, when Sky consistently told me that my campaign was shit and he could have helped me earn more funds...

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1375547326/created

Take a read back through the replies and you'll see the true aggressors. You see that I'm not attacking you, or even the ones attacking me. Only defending my position.

Can't blame me for posting the following link, when Sky consistently told me that my campaign was shit and he could have helped me earn more funds...

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1375547326/created

Not interested enough to click the link. I don't take any of this too seriously.

We're all still learning and not everyone gets along.
no big deal.

You and I were getting along. Not sure what you're misunderstanding here. I assure you, there was a good deal of hard work in my campaign, which accounted for the funding. The video was shot and produced very well and there was a community of filmmakers in the Tampa area that wanted to see the film come to life. That's it. No more secret beyond that.

Either you're misunderstanding me or I failed in explaining my initial meaning. Hope this clears it up. If the secret was no more than hard work, anyone who was willing to put in the time and effort would be able to make it happen. It's just not the reality of it. There's some secret sauce, some specific combination of talent, some special execution that makes some successful that others fail to have.

Does that make more sense?

Either you're misunderstanding me or I failed in explaining my initial meaning. Hope this clears it up. If the secret was no more than hard work, anyone who was willing to put in the time and effort would be able to make it happen. It's just not the reality of it. There's some secret sauce, some specific combination of talent, some special execution that makes some successful that others fail to have.

Does that make more sense?

Yes, for sure, and I think based on the extremely offensive manner, a good deal of people here tend to deal with things, I was a little edgy this morning. LOL

Sweetie, Here's a list of things I put together for FB for filmmakers who were interested in how I funded. I personally believe it's about having the ability to sell yourself both on your campaign page, and behind the scenes. Being willing to WORK, having a Network, and knowing something about sales / marketing...

HOW TO FUND YOUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN!

1. DON'T SLEEP - The reality is... pure and simple, you need to be prepared to lose sleep, contact every person you've ever known, post on every blog related to your specific field you can, etc...

2. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!!! DIG DEEP. Take people to lunch, be prepared that some will say, "sorry, I can't help you right now." Be nice!!! Notice the word, "WORK" in "NETWORK?" Call other people interested in working on your project. Have them make calls, ask them nicely to send emails/facebook messages. You'd be surprised who will help you, if they believe in you.

3. HAVE A GREAT VIDEO - I know a guy that can help you with this... LOL Don't make a boring video that explains the details of what you're trying to do. Notice in my video, I left you wondering? Sales is about the take away, and creating intrigue and interest. You show too much of your hand, people will say, "meh, sounds good, and good luck." Creating the feeling of "wanting more," is an excellent sales strategy.

4. SELL YOURSELF, AND NOT YOUR PRODUCT - Great salesmen know, people are 10 times more likely to buy from someone they like, than someone they don't like. Make a video that makes people like you and your enthusiasm, and they'll buy from you. Most commercials nowadays aren't about the product. They're about selling the company and its sense of humor more than the product itself. You like the company, you will be ten times more likely to buy the product. When was the last time you saw an Insurance company give you the details of coverage in a TV commercial? However, I bet if I sang, "Like a good neighbor..." you could finish the line.

5. FACEBOOK ADS - My co-producer mentioned this to me and I found an Executive Producer out of it. More people use Facebook than even Google. People spend 10 times more time using Facebook than any other website. You can target Facebook ads based on people's interests. For instance, my ads only went out to people who were interested in filmmaking, producing, directing, etc...

6. FIND FUEL - For me, I use people's disbelief and "that'll never work" comments as FIRE!!! What's yours?

7. HAVE A PROGRESS THERMOMETER ON YOUR FB PAGE "Cover Photo" - Self explanatory really. Update it everyday and people will see everytime you do and will eventually invest themselves in your success. Especially if they like you. https://www.facebook.com/justinrusso12 (This will be gone in the next few weeks.)

For a short to be eligible for IMDb credit it requires it have been shown at a qualified festival, broadcasted, etc

Not even. I know people who have things on imdb that haven't screened actually anywhere. Imdb is definitely good in some respects, but I don't read too much into it.

For the record, this whole thread is ridiculous. Creating a thread targeting one user of the site whoever it may be, and whether you have just cause or not, is the height of immaturity and unprofessionalism IMHO. Well maybe not the height, but it's somewhere up there.

You may have been right originally jrusso (I haven't been keeping close track on how the disagreement started and don't intend to delve into it) but I must say I tend to agree with richy. This thread has done you no favours. What did you hope to achieve by starting it? Sometimes you just gotta learn to ignore and not let others get to you.

I assure you, my posts on this thread are accurate, and non-emotional.

They may or may not be accurate, but they quite obviously not non-emotional.

We've all got 88 problems jrusso. No need to have 89.

Congrats on the successful campaign anyways, and good luck with everything going forward. :)

Last edited:
Back