• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Merlin Video Dolly System

Just wanted to say hello and introduce the Merlin Video Dolly System.

We have dolly systems for any budget.

We offer a unique modular dolly design that allows changing dolly function quickly buy changing attachments.

Ladder dolly can be turned into a tripod dolly or a skater dolly, etc.

dolly-setsa.jpg

We also have our budget-smart line that offers dollies at great prices as well.

eskater-lowa.jpg

Fell free to browse the site and drop us an email if you have any questions.

Cheers!
Terry Merlin
www.merlindolly.com

Does this dolly require a perfectly smooth floor? Is there a pole system that this can be placed on? A track system?

Does this dolly require a perfectly smooth floor? Is there a pole system that this can be placed on? A track system?

Looks like it can be rigged to roll on pipe or something they call "flex-track."

Dready, did you notice that the one you linked comes with 50' of their track? 40lbs rating is pretty decent, could probably run something like an EX/HVX with an adapter rig on it fairly easily. And the ladder dolly gives me all sorts of nifty ideas.

http://www.merlindolly.com/7-merlin-video-ladder-dolly

Last edited:
I guess budget-friendly is a relative term. I prefer DIY.

I would agree with you there. This product is still far from my price range. Plus if I had 300 bucks I would spend it on something else like a fluid head tripod, or a shotgun mic.

Still. This is the cheapest dolly system I've seen for sale.

It is.

For someone that does industrial or wedding video work with EX/HVX sized cameras, $400 for a dolly with track is worth considering. Just another part of the kit cost. I'd consider one if I was putting together a camera kit centered around something small - like the DSLR of my dreams that comes standard with HD-SDI output so I can record to a ki-pro and skip all that nasty compression. ;)

OTOH, I'd be just as likely to skip the dolly purchase, and just source one as needed from various folks who already have them.

For someone who wants to make an entire feature on probably less than the example above spent on their camera/lighting kit - then no, definitely not a good choice.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I was not aware there was replies. I guess I had the settings off.

The flex track is not very forgiving. A bump in the floor will be a bump in the footage. But if you are dealing with an rough surface, you are best using the dolly on solid tubing like metal or PVC pipe. Outdoor shooting requires a solid track. But the dolly can be used on PVC or metal tubing. The flex track is an inside setup for sure

Absolutely. If you have the means, always try and build yourself. You will learn a ton just by trial and error. I have always been a huge fan of DIY. And if you get stuck, email me and I may be able to help.

I would spend it on something else like a fluid head tripod, or a shotgun mic.

For sure! A dolly is luxury. Granted it will give you stylish shots that glow, but its something you get after the the important tools. And as noted above, get a good tripod right after the good camera. A dolly is probably 5th or 6th down the list. A good fluid head is paramount. And again, as noted a good mic is always overlooked. Sound is a huge deal. Go there before pretty...
Get the basics first.

Still. This is the cheapest dolly system I've seen for sale.
I dont like the word cheap ;)
But we do have the best equipment in this price range you will find anywhere in the world. We spent a year beating down the costs and there is simply nothing available at this price. It wasn't easy. But I am actually as proud of how low we were able to work this out as I am the product. It took us a year to get the costs down. The product is not cheap, but its cost effective. We just found the right suppliers. If that make sense.

I'd be just as likely to skip the dolly purchase, and just source one as needed from various folks who already have them.

This is is a very great point. If you need a couple dolly shots over the whole shoot, be creative and see if you can find what you need. No need to buy for 15 minutes [At you Charlie Sheen ;) ]
You would be surprised whats around you so dont blow the budget without seeing whats out there first

Anyway, I just wanted to follow up. We dropped the price from fiberglass to aluminum by almost half. Mindset was that folks would want the carbon fiber setup. It was wrong. They want the same setup, but lower cost. So thats what we did. And aluminum is actually better looking in my opinion.
Anyway, Have fun.

Terry

Merlin Video is awful. I tried ordering from Terry and he didn't ship my product for over 6 months! He changed the warranty terms after it shipped. Do not trust them to give a refund either. Many people online have had the same experience, many never receive anything with no refund.

I recommend dealing with a reputable company that will ship you a quality dolly product:
http://www.proamusa.com/Dollies-Sliders-s/309.htm

ProAm USA is a superior company, better quality, lower price, and nice people! Merlin Dolly is not a company to trust.

Back