Is AVCHD incompatible with Mac's?

I'm trying my best to find an answer throughout the forums. I really like the Canon xa10 and it records in AVCHD. I have a mac with fcp9 and was wondering if it's possible to edit.

The latest version of FCP is 7, which is definitely compatible with AVCHD. You'll need to open the "Log and Transfer" window from the FCP menu bar (or Command + Shift + 8, I think) and import your footage through there. If you copy AVCHD files from a memory card, make sure to copy everything - Log and Transfer needs the entire file and folder structure to work correctly.

Most modern editing applications will take the AVCHD videos, but they are extremely processor intensive and fat as heck. I would recommend that you convert the files before bringing them in to really shorten your rendering times. Apple's Compressor is a fantastic option, or you can look into MPEG StreamClip by Squared5.

Just pretty much gonna repeat what everyone else has said; AVCHD for me has been a troublesome format, and the needless separation of audio and video caused many problems in a recent edit. And it used to work on my Mac, too.
Just convert to an easy format, I had to covert to .mp4 since the audio wouldn't import into Premiere CS6...have no idea why either, because it worked before!
So yeah, annoying and unreliable format; convert or if that's not an option, just import the entire file structure, which is inconvenient in itself.

Back