Director insists on writing terrible synopsis

Hey guys, need some advice here...

As part of a collaborative effort brought together by me (it was under the umbrella of my company), we have produced a new 34 minute short about homelessness, love and addiction.

I was the cinematographer for the project. The director did a great job of making the film the best it could be, however...he SUCKS at writing logline/synopsis type of stuff. It's just utterly vague and misses the point of the film.

My question is, how can I inform him that his synopsis/logline writing sucks without sounding like an asshole? The reason for my concern is that we're set to submit to a few festivals that require those tidbits that he just can't seem to figure out. I'm also building out a website for the film and I don't want to sully an otherwise clean page with crappy writing. He is the producer as well as the director, so as far as I know he's supposed to be in charge of the presskit/distribution stuff (including logline/synopsis)...but he shouldn't be. How can I get him to realize I'm just trying to help make the release as successful as it can possibly be?

-J

To me it's common sense. Tell him you don't think the logline works, and misrepresents the message of the film.

You are not criticizing the film or the screenplay, you are criticizing an element of the marketing. He should not take it the wrong way. They are hard, even specialized firms that are hired for loglines etc. don't always nail it.

You could suggest something like a group email brainstorm between creatives to come up with a good one. This way at least you have a solution.

Who initially wrote the script? Let him write it. But to answer your question, be humble and respectful. Do it in stages. Start with saying you don't agree with this sentence. Why don't we use this to express this plot in the film etc. Smartly work with him. A production is all about teamwork even though everyone has their role.

To me it's common sense. Tell him you don't think the logline works, and misrepresents the message of the film.

You are not criticizing the film or the screenplay, you are criticizing an element of the marketing. He should not take it the wrong way. They are hard, even specialized firms that are hired for loglines etc. don't always nail it.

You could suggest something like a group email brainstorm between creatives to come up with a good one. This way at least you have a solution.

+gold

thank you sir

No prob! The common sense part was not meant as a slight btw... just that, you shouldn't sweat it because of the reasons I posted. :)

Back