> Gesstimated Budget Breakdowns!

Filmmaking can be any combination of a (mildly to vastly) expensive hobby to an actual income generating occupation.

Technical this and principle that aside, no matter the scale of production, in breadth and depth, a film is going to cost something to make.

Lettuce begin by establishing some fundamental accounting terminology: Direct and Indirect costs.

direct_indirect_costs.png

A camera w/ accouterments, tripod, computer, NLE, & work space can be used for more than one film project.
Think of these as a business/enterprise's overhead.
Whether or not you make a single film or 100 films you're not getting outta these expenses.
Make one film and all the indirect costs can be allocated to that single film.
Make three films and those indirect costs can be proportionately attributed to each of them.
Make ten films and the expense is distributed even further.

Permits & insurance, location fees, cast & crew pay, project specific costumes & props that are generated BECAUSE of a single project are DIRECT costs.
Film project A generates $X in expenses. High risk, high reward film.
Film project B generates $Y in expenses. Low risk, low reward film.
Film project C generates $Z in expenses. Low risk, high reward film.

In order to better understand risk/reward in determining if pursuit of a film project has merit, this thread is created for the purpose of guesstimating not only the budgets of recent films generally available but also of the resources required.
Becoming more cognizant of the scene resource requirements should lead to a better budget estimation so that we may better fulfill our deliverables.

Guesstimating resource requirements and budget for a few hundred dollars may not matter, so this thread's not really interested in exploring that level of filmmaking.

Guesstimating the same for a $30K or $50K film leaves an awfully wide margin for error.
Private Equity + crowdsourcing for a $20K difference (that's a fairly decent car in my garage, folks) becomes a legit point to address, not just "consider."

Well... which is it?
Will the project cost $30K or $50K?
How do you know?
Just make it up as you go along?
Scale the production as finances allow?
Why?
Because it's too difficult to plan ahead and stick to the plan, even with contingencies?

No.
How about we put some mild effort into crafting better budgets.
Lettuce try this through breaking down films by guesstimated filmmaking resources and their corresponding budgets.

Even if we're wrong, even though we're scaling to resource levels we believe we could sensibly attain, we'll be better off than just spitballing guesses.

The first film we're going to break down is 'Juno.'

img-thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467406/
Budget estimated/reported between $6 to $7million.
"After minimal rehearsal, filming spanned from early February across to March 2007 on a six-week schedule, of which 30 days were designated to filming."

Quality of the film and its content aside, this film should be simple to shoot without helicopter shots, car crashes, explosions, and excessive use of CGI, (there's often more than you'd suspect, watch the extras on the 'You Kill Me' DVD!)

Now, there are a few different ways to go about figuring a budget.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=264223#post264223
  1. We could try to figure out how the producers actually spent their $6-7M.
  2. We could try to figure out how we, as producers, would budget and spend to make an approximation of the film.
  3. We could make a $10K version, a $50K version, or a $500K version.

Honestly, I'd be interested in seeing different variations of how it could be done.

Take your time.
You get to it when you get to it.
We'll move onto another film eventually. And another one after that.
Debate and argument are encouraged, of course.
Education and elucidation are prized above all else. :)

And jussferfun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXUKtgR_oE

Last edited:
I think we should see how cost effectively we can do it and whether that roughly matches up to the money that the producers spent (ignoring marketing costs and the inevitable budget inflation).

I think we should make a Google doc that people can edit and add costings and other things to.

We need to separate things into the categories that need to be budgetised:

-Actors
-Crew
-Equipment
-Locations
-Amenities
-Design
Obviously, each of these will have numerous sub-categories in the thorough budget, but is there anything obvious that I'm missing. Props and costume, for example, would be sub-categories of design, hotels and food, sub-categories of amenities.

Is this a good way of starting?

Hell, yeah!

If we convert/compare budgets as percentages then we could establish approximate ratios.

Mason Novick/Mr. Mudd spent $X00,000 = Y% of $6.5M
We would likewise spend Y% of $/£65K = $/£X00.
Simple enough.

We could figure out the "sensible approximation reproduction" budget - and/or - the "ultra cheap reproduction" budget.
The difference between those could be interesting, as well.

Regarding "anything obvious missed" we could crib off of:
The $1,000 Film Budget
Actor's expenses - $300
> Above the Line Expenses - $300

Equipment rental - $500
Food - $200
> Production Expenses - $700

Editor - $0
Editing equipment - $0
> Postproduction Expenses - $0

Total Budget $1,000

The Typical $100,000 Filmmaking Budget
Writer/director/producer - $Profit points
Cast - $15,000
> Above the Line Expenses - $15,000

Assistant director - $1,500
Production/art designer - $2,000
Script supervisor - $1,200
Cinematographer - $5,000
Assistant camera operators (2) - $3,000
Gaffer/electrician - $2,000
Grips (3) - $3,000
Sound mixer & boom operator - $3,000
Makeup & hair - $1,000
Photographer & production assistants - $0
Craft services & food - $10,000
Props & sets - $1,500
Wardrobe & makeup - $500
Camera rental - $5,000
Lighting rental - $5,000
Dolly - $2,000
Tape stock - $200
Sound equipment rental - $1,500
Trucks & gas - $1,000
Location fees - $1,500
Insurance - $3,000
Office supplies - $500
> Total Production Costs - $51,400

Editor - $5,000
Editing equipment - $10,000
Composer - $1,000
ADR - $1,000
Sound edit - $2,000
> Total Postproduction Expenses - $19,000

> Contingency - $0

Total Budget - $87,400​

Look good? Something like that?

Ok, that looks good- time to break it down into proper detail, film specific, and get more accurate pricings.

I've made a Google Doc here, which anyone can edit, and it has a page for each of the sections I outlined. Feel free to add anything to that.

For the sake of simplicity (in terms of getting accurate costs) perhaps we should tackle gear first?

Excellent!

For the sake of simplicity (in terms of getting accurate costs) perhaps we should tackle gear first?
Gopherit.

I'll check out the DVD from the library in the next few days and then start tearing it down scene by scene + listen to the all important director's commentary.
You'd be surprised how much you glean from those! :yes:

If we deconstruct this from different approaches we will likely get a better perspective on it.

First things first, we need to decide where we're shooting our hypothetical shot-for-shot remake. I think it's sensible to assume we're going to shoot it in British Columbia too, but if anyone can think of a better way of doing that then I'll listen.

These are the camera specs, as listed by IMDB:

Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL, Panavision Primo Lenses
Panavision Panaflex Platinum, Panavision Primo Lenses
Panavision Panastar, Panavision Primo Lenses
35 mm (Kodak Vision2 200T 5217, Vision2 Expression 500T 5229)

I think we should price that using local rental sources, but I also think we should price out a digital alternative that might be cheaper. Would be great if one of our many gearheads could step in at this point ;)

I hope people other than Ray and me get involved, as this could potentially be a great exercise and a fantastic resource for others to draw from once it's complete.

A camera w/ accouterments, tripod, computer, NLE, & work space can be used for more than one film project.
Think of these as a business/enterprise's overhead.
Whether or not you make a single film or 100 films you're not getting outta these expenses.
Make one film and all the indirect costs can be allocated to that single film.
Make three films and those indirect costs can be proportionately attributed to each of them.
Make ten films and the expense is distributed even further.

The issue with this specific example is when talking about a specific film:

Films/studios themselves don't (generally) buy cameras, NLEs etc. Instead, they pay money to rental houses who are already invested in the business model of spreading out their expense. Likewise - a post house. So in terms of direct/indirect cost - there is always direct cost as you're paying $xx,xxx for a camera package on each production, rather than spreading a $xx,xxx investment over many (which, conversely is the business model of the rental house/post house).

It's hard to budget Juno without first getting an idea of your guesstimate shooting ratio - 7:1? 10:1? 12:1?
I wouldn't be surprised if they had costs of $20,000/week for camera equipment (incl. lenses). The cost of stock depends on a number of factors, not the least of which is the shooting ratio. IIRC, 35mm stock at the time was about ~$400/400ft roll and ~$600/1000ft roll straight from Kodak - based on a 5:1 ratio (ambitious, but maybe), you're looking at ~41,000ft of film (assuming you're shooting 4-perf). Therefore, ~$24,600 for stock.
More lkely, you'll be shooting at a 10:1+ ratio, so at 10:1, your stock cost doubles to ~$50,000.
Now, the Millenium XL is available in 3-perf, and the Platinum is available in 2-perf or 3-perf, so they may have saved costs by shooting some (or most) of the film in 3-perf, some of the film in 2-perf... AFAIK, the Panastar is not available in 2- or 3-perf, though I know very little about the Panastar.

Then you look at lighting/grip equipment - are you going to budget based on a guesstimate cost of a grip truck+ people?
How long are we shooting for? 6 weeks as per the real production?

Last edited:
IDK.
I think it might be interesting to consider shooting hypothetical shot-for-shot remake locally, and the results would probably be more practical.

First we'll guesstimate what the actual producers used and spent - then - convert that to our (please, let's call it for what it technically is) no-budget version.

Figure what it would cost to rent a Panaflex w/ lenses package locally, cast & crew rates using region specific pay scales [1][2], etc.
[1] http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/writers_resources/LBAhandout.pdf
[2] http://www.sagindie.org/docs/sag-ultra_low_budget_agreement-1_9.pdf
You can figure out what rates you could get for in London or thereabouts, and the same for Jax_Rox in Melbourne.
Comparing rates should be fun.
I would also go so far as to investigating tax incentives, which I've fortunately already done for anyone in the States: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=40055
It might make more financial sense for me to shoot in an adjacent state and/or adjust the budget accordingly to achieve maximum benefit.
"For just a $10K more than my original estimate I could get 15% back from the state next door!"

For digital alternatives, I'd be game for considering as low as a Canon 5D/Sony NEXFS100/Black Magic and comparable.
Of course, everyone that can get their hands on a RED is gonna make a mess in their panties. :lol:
I'm game for estimates using that, as well.

The issue with this specific example is when talking about a specific film:

Films/studios themselves don't (generally) buy cameras, NLEs etc. Instead, they pay money to rental houses...
Correct and understood.
We'll have to use some sensible conversion of what is certainly a Direct Cost for a producer on a $6.5M film to a likely Indirect Cost for many of us DIY no-budget filmmakers.
I think we can swing that mental math conversion. ;)

It's hard to budget Juno without first getting an idea of your guesstimate shooting ratio - 7:1? 10:1? 12:1?
Do you mean how many raw minutes of film shot vs. final edited and released product?
Eli Roth two/three takes vs. Christopher Nolan thirty/forty takes?
Yeah, we'd have to figure that out as well.
Good spot! TY!

I wouldn't be surprised if they had costs of ~$20,000/week for camera equipment. Then you look at lighting/grip equipment - are you going to budget based on a guesstimate cost of a grip truck+ people?
Yup!

How long are we shooting for? 6 weeks as per the real production?
Initial estimate is what info is provided on the internet, in 'Juno's case we're given "...February across to March 2007 on a six-week schedule, of which 30 days were designated to filming", so that's what we'll use for that guesstimation.
THEN we'll figure it out for our no-budget $5k and/or $100K production.

Last edited:
Location can determine potential tax credit or subsidies. A co production with a Canadian producer can make you eligible for a lot of potential grants, credits or subsidies depending on the province. Section 181 tax U. S. tax code can further reduce costs and help to obtain investors.

Just started breaking down the shots & scenes of "JUNO."

Goodness!
I done spent a half hour just documenting + guessing the first 9mins.

At this rate I might finish by the end of the week! :lol:

Just a heads up on the individual state tax credits here in Louisiana. There are currently two bills before the legislature to drastically cut or eliminate the film tax credit here. There are lobbies working to get those bills killed.

Just a heads up on the individual state tax credits here in Louisiana. There are currently two bills before the legislature to drastically cut or eliminate the film tax credit here. There are lobbies working to get those bills killed.

Why would they want to eliminate film tax bonuses? Isn't it an economic boon? They did a similar thing here in Australia, though they diminished the amount you could receive rather than getting rid of it altogether, and there was certainly a drop in the number of productions coming out here.

California, at one time the movie center of the world, did the same thing, eliminating tax credits for filmmakers. "Of course they'll pay more; we've got Hollywood!" So lots of production went to Vancouver and elsewhere. Politicians never learn.........

They look at what the benefits to the taxpayers are in their state. We have the same problem in Massachusetts. The problem is that a lot of the crew and stars who receive a big amount of the credit don't live in the state, and the state hasn't gone after the back end deals that the stars get to retrieve more income. They don't look at all the extra tourist revenue generated because of movies showing a lot of attractions.

Back