"Casting fee" via talent agency:

Guys,

I'm preparing a shoot for a short film and still have to fill a small role.

I found a couple of potentially interesting actors on a "talent website/agency" that I though were worth a try.
After contacting the agency, I was surprised they asked for 400 dollars just to send the talent to the casting...

I guess, if anything, I imagined something much smaller
Is that something you have an experience with? Is 400 dollars "reasonable" for a "casting fee"?

(note that the "shooting day fee" for the talent is 1200 dollars)

Thanks for your input on this!

The only agency I worked with sent actors for free. They actually sent me a list of 20 or so actors with age range and headshots and I picked the ones I liked, then they gave me contact info. Agencies are supposed to get paid a percentage or whatever of each gig they book an actor, from the actor. Some small agencies require a monthly fee or similar, especially if you aren.t a big enough or good enough actor to get enough work.

Ditto craigslist. Actually, the agency I did work with contacted us based off a craigslist posting.

The only agency I worked with sent actors for free. They actually sent me a list of 20 or so actors with age range and headshots and I picked the ones I liked, then they gave me contact info. Agencies are supposed to get paid a percentage or whatever of each gig they book an actor, from the actor. Some small agencies require a monthly fee or similar, especially if you aren.t a big enough or good enough actor to get enough work.

Ditto craigslist. Actually, the agency I did work with contacted us based off a craigslist posting.

Ok, thanks for your input Paul, it seems that the practice of imposing a fee for the casting is not a systematic one then... Good to know!

There is a difference between a talent agent and a casting
director/agent. An agent earns their living by taking a
percentage of their clients earnings; a casting agent/director
charges a fee for their services.

Is sounds like you have contacted an agency that charges a fee to
the producer to handle the auditions and casting of a movie. $400
is quite reasonable. I have never heard of a “shooting day” fee. I
can’t imagine what that might be.

A talent agent will send out their clients to auditions in the
hope a producer will hire one. You only get their clients. A
casting agent/director will pull from many talent agents; opening
up your possibilities.

Under "gigs"? The job classifieds have been paid for a loooong time, but the gigs section is free to post. At least in DFW, unless it's changed in the past month or so?

If it did change, as much as I wouldn't want to pay $25 haha it's not much and it would really cut a lot of the clutter.

Under "gigs"? The job classifieds have been paid for a loooong time, but the gigs section is free to post. At least in DFW, unless it's changed in the past month or so?

Oh dude you're totally right! I never saw that gigs section. I went straight to jobs (https://post.craigslist.org/k/iNEbmz104RGOB6DsYO38-A/KQQK3?s=cat). Hahaha. Great catch man! I wished I knew that a long time ago. It would've saved me A LOT of time. Oh well. Now I know, especially when I start casting...

One word. FAIL.

Haha, yeah. Stick to the gigs section. IMO, it's the more appropriate section anyway since you're not offering a permanent job.

Oh, but for casting, don't do gigs. In the same subsection you can select 'Talent' which is also free and better for casting calls. I only use 'Gigs' for crew.

We used a number of different casting websites to cast our production. Ironically all the submissions from an "agency" were a bad fit and not used. We also used craigslist ("gigs" Section for free in LA). Also, a really cool owner of a casting website let us use his office for auditions totally free of charge. All we had to do was leave out some brochures about the site. I think I would skip that $400 deal.

There is a difference between a talent agent and a casting
director/agent. An agent earns their living by taking a
percentage of their clients earnings; a casting agent/director
charges a fee for their services.

Is sounds like you have contacted an agency that charges a fee to
the producer to handle the auditions and casting of a movie. $400
is quite reasonable. I have never heard of a “shooting day” fee. I
can’t imagine what that might be.

A talent agent will send out their clients to auditions in the
hope a producer will hire one. You only get their clients. A
casting agent/director will pull from many talent agents; opening
up your possibilities.

Thanks for the reply directorik.

It was really an "talent agency", the actors I had picked belong to their online listing... that's the reason of my surprise. I would have definitely understood a casting fee if a search/selection had been done on their side.

The "shooting day fee" is the term the agent used, as opposed to a "rehearsal day" (which appears to be invoiced half the standard "shooting day"....)

Back