Good Super 8mm Camera

Would someone be able to recommend me a good super 8 camera to buy? Ideally as cheap as possible.

Don't think I'll be doing paid work with it, it's just something fun to play around with and use for artistic purposes in my films.

I want something that shoots coloured film and that takes the best kind of film stock(Best meaning, easy to buy and get developed)

I don't need anything that shoots sound, just video.

Any suggestions for me? Any specific cameras?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, nobody actually makes the cameras anymore, so you’re going to have to find something used, which shouldn’t be too hard with eBay and Amazon, but it means your selection is going to be limited in terms of what brands are currently available.

If you want to shoot underwater footage, you’re going to need more than one camera. Waterproof Super 8 cameras exist, but are pretty rare to come across. Your only real option will be to create your own housing, which is very likely to damage the camera (which is why you don’t want to do it with your only camera), even though you will be able to get some film shot. If you want to go super DIY, wrap it in plastic, and then put the camera in a sealed plastic bag, keeping the lens as unobstructed as possible, obviously.
buy.gif

By just doing a simple google search, I found this website, which from a casual glance seems to offer some pretty good tips for people just starting with the Super 8mm format.

Back