IT Movie Club: Night of the Living Dead

This week, we'll be watching the 1968 zombie classic "Night of the Living Dead". The film was considered a landmark in cinema, and it's shoestring budget inspired filmmakers across the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUKvmOEGCU​

Here are some questions for you all:

What were some things that made this film so groundbreaking?
What techniques have been copied from this film, and why?
Which areas of the film do you think had the most money spent on?
How did Romero evoke fear in the audience at the time?
Why was the film so successful?

----

Night of the Living Dead can be streamed on Netflix and is also available on Youtube due to it being in the Public Domain.

Oh I love this film so much! I even saw it with my brother who generally hates black & white films and he loved it! IMO this is really a masterpiece not just of the horror genre but of cinema in general!

1) What were some things that made this film so groundbreaking?

The use of gore, especially as the world was getting gruesome news footage from Vietnam. Leading man is black, which was not common at that time. Establishes the "zombie rules" that are followed to this day, in shows like THE WALKING DEAD.

2) What techniques have been copied from this film, and why?

Simplicity - "cabin in the woods," which has been used countless times. Zombies have since become so popular that they are their own sub-genre. (Look how many indies make zombie movies!) All you need is some basic makeup and some blood - no elaborate creatures or setpieces to build.

3) Which areas of the film do you think had the most money spent on?

I believe Film stock and actors, but it's been a while since I read John Russo's book, which detailed a lot of this.

4) How did Romero evoke fear in the audience at the time?

Apocalyptic scenario (again in the wake of war). Confined space with other uncooperative/hostile characters. The horde; being hugely outnumbered by a ravenous enemy. One of our most basic fears is getting eaten.

5) Why was the film so successful?

The budget was so small, reportedly $114,000, Grossing a million bucks would have looked good, but it went far beyond that. The timing was ripe for such a controversial (gory) movie. The character conflict and claustrophobic situation had a lot to do with people getting into the story. Also, as you noted, the movie is in public domain (because of a big copyright mess up), so people remake it or make variations of it.

What were some things that made this film so groundbreaking?
Casting a black lead. Showing zombies actually consuming human flesh in gory close-up. Having a child kill her parents. Having everybody die at the end.

What techniques have been copied from this film, and why?
Story-wise, the shock ending, where there is no hope for anybody, is the one thing that has truly been carried over to many other films.

Which areas of the film do you think had the most money spent on?
Yeah, I’d guess on the cast. Certainly not on the effects, but that wasn’t necessary.

How did Romero evoke fear in the audience at the time?
It’s difficult to say, not having been one of the original audience members. But the one thing that strikes me, is the fact that these aren’t supernatural beings; they’re not Dracula or The Wolfman. They look like us. Anyone could be a zombie. Anyone could eat your flesh.

Why was the film so successful?
Originality. There was nothing like it at the time. People are bored of zombie movies now....

4) How did Romero evoke fear in the audience at the time?

Apocalyptic scenario (again in the wake of war). Confined space with other uncooperative/hostile characters. The horde; being hugely outnumbered by a ravenous enemy. One of our most basic fears is getting eaten.

It goes even further than that. The zombies (Romero called them Ghouls, but the Z-word stuck) are ourselves. They are our mortality. The survivors in Night, or any other zombie apocalypse film are literally facing their own death. It's not a serial killer they can outsmart. It's not a monster where they can figure out its hidden weakness. It's a force of nature, slow and inevitable. Because of this, the conflict in any good zombie movie is internal. It's how they react when confronted with their own mortality. One of my favorite scenes in Night is when they are getting wood to board up the door. Barbara returns with a scrap of wood, her mind utterly broken. Ben recognizes that's she's lost, and thanks her for her help.

I love Romero's living dead films so very, very much :D

Back