IT Movie Club: Charade

WHAT IS IT MOVIE CLUB? IT Movie Club is essentially where a film is picked each week, and anyone can contribute to the thread, throwing in their reviews, fun facts, thoughts, spotted techniques, things they disliked, comparisons to other films, and the film's influence on future films if wanted. Really, just talk about anything related to the film.

charade_750px1.jpg

This week, we will be watching the 1963 thriller/comedy "Charade", starring Audrey Hepburn and Carey Grant. The film follows a woman who is targeted by several men who want a fortune her husband had allegedly stolen.

The film can be streamed on Netflix and Hulu. It might even be on Youtube for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgPw34Xm3A​

Last edited:
It is free on youtube, and you don't have to be quiet about it..
This film is not protected - it's in the public domain :)

I've seen 17 audrey hepburn films, and this is my favorite of them all. Actually this one, love in the afternoon and breakfast at tiffanys are all in my top 40 films of all time.

Great choice :)
This film has a wide range of genre - Thriller, suspense, romance, comedy. All blended together perfectly well.

Last edited:
Heh, back when Henry Mancini was the go-to name :cool:

I'd be very surprised if this was in the public domain, though. Have a source for that? :hmm:

Watched it on Netflix, with no HD option. Even with allowance for buffering, it seemed pretty lo-res - looked like a 360p stream; no more. Would have looked better playing off a DVD, through my projector.

The soundscape was awkwardly noticeable at several points; in particular, when the barge is passing under the bridges and the reverb gets turned up to 11. Amazing how fast that breaks the illusion.

Oh, and the shot reversals in many scenes were horribly mismatched.

Was kinda surprised at how long the film was.

Loved the never-ending list of lying liars, and the accepted continuation of more. Can't really comment more, without spoilers etc. :lol:

Fun flick, and it was cool to have a flirty-style comedy vibe mixed in with the campy thriller/murder plot. Definitely a product of its era.

Any particular reason why this film was selected, btw? I wouldn't call this a stunning example of anything, tbh. Enjoyable, but forgettable.

Any particular reason why this film was selected, btw? I wouldn't call this a stunning example of anything, tbh. Enjoyable, but forgettable.

Maybe you don't like some of the reverb or reverse shots, etc, but everyone always says story is what reigns supreme. The screen play is fantastic, and the acting is great. Overall this is a great story with a lot of laughs.

Thought I would choose something older, and something that everyone could watch... assuming that everyone is able to use Youtube. I also wanted to choose something that isn't great (I thought it would be an interesting idea to choose both "good" and "bad" films).

why this film was selected, btw? I wouldn't call this a stunning example of anything, tbh. Enjoyable, but forgettable.

I also wanted to choose something that isn't great (I thought it would be an interesting idea to choose both "good" and "bad" films).

Damn you guys are really trashing this movie :lol:
I watched it again and it still maintains it's place as one of my favorite films of all time.. and FYI time magazine agrees with me listing it as one of the best movies ever made.

How do you like those apples? :)

Damn you guys are really trashing this movie :lol:
I watched it again and it still maintains it's place as one of my favorite films of all time.. and FYI time magazine agrees with me listing it as one of the best movies ever made.

LOL The Criterion Collection agrees with you too!
I've actually only heard good things about this film before. It seems like a movie I'll love but I haven't seen it yet, when I watch it I'll post my opinion here.

@sfoster

Not a bad film, but I don't think it's amazing or great. It's an incredibly flawed but enjoyable film which you can watch and pick out the good and bad.

I prefer oranges or lemons or rasberries. Apples aren't bad, although Fuji apples take the cake.

LOL The Criterion Collection agrees with you too!
I've actually only heard good things about this film before. It seems like a movie I'll love but I haven't seen it yet, when I watch it I'll post my opinion here.

Worth watching.

Oh, and are you still thinking of a film for IT Movie Club? ;)

Worth watching.

Oh, and are you still thinking of a film for IT Movie Club? ;)

Cool, I'll try to watch it this week.

LOL so sorry man, at first I was just kinda busy myself. And then I forgot. And then now lol, well I said I was going to choose Hunger. I'll see if I can start the thread tomorrow!

Back