timelapse film: narrative, city symphony, or specific subject matter?

so this is a very general thread about timelapse films as i'm trying to gauge what people like to see to let that inform me of how i want to proceed in creating my first timelapse short film.

in my opinion, there are 3 ways i could take this:
1) "the city symphony," probably what we see most often. Tokyo, NYC, or this beautiful example from Vitoria: https://vimeo.com/112316435.

pros of this subgenre:
accessibility, beauty, easy to create a simple narrative about daily life, easy to focus on and explore technical creativity (see: https://vimeo.com/108792063)
cons:
done to death. harder to create any sort of original narrative. any narrative relies heavily on a majestic soundtrack

2) a "subject matter" timelapse film. generally finding natural beauty in one thing. common examples would be the northern lights or stars: https://vimeo.com/22439234. sometimes natural structures like lakes or mountains. sometimes more technically experimental even: https://vimeo.com/82038912

pros:
very similar to the city symphony. more impressive because these things are often less accessible than cities, and sometimes require more technique (it takes more practice to shoot stars than skylines IMO)
cons:
also, done to death and difficult to make any sort original narrative. both these subgenres really focus on technique and technical creativity rather than telling a story. the story becomes secondary and often falls back on majesty or beauty. it gets boring

3) a "narrative" based timelapse film. see Samsara or definitely the Qatsi trilogy. i rarely see anything like that in a short form. i'd really like to attempt this. i'll never make a Samsara or a Koyaanisqatsi, but i value a message more in my short films, and i think a story should still be of equal importance in a timelapse film

pros:
here i can explore anything, i can focus on daily life and routine in a way in which you don't really get the opportunity to in a city symphony. possibility to show movement in a different way than we see so often focused on in many timelapse films (i think i do this very well in this particular clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqQMbVPBxE)
cons:
easy to be heavyhanded. also easy to be disconnected visually. takes much more care and consideration and production than solely focusing on the visual.

of course there is room for massive amounts of creativity and originality in each style, but i'm leaning toward attempting something narrative based. thematically, i'm leaning toward saying something about creation and destruction within routine. think a darkroom of grass growing contrasted with lawnmowing.

what do people think?
does the success of a timelapse film rely more on connective visuals?
how important is a story or message?
what are some other things that are overdone in timelapses that i should avoid?
have you seen anything particularly creative that worked well?
do you have any technical tips or tricks that you can share?
what is the role of music and how important is it?

any thoughts appreciated! and please share any of your timelapse work here, too!

Beauty is nice.
Beautiful images with a (poetic) message is even better, because it resonates at an emotional level and makes you think.

Koyaanisqatsi is a great example of that. It is actually heartbreaking to see how we are destroying the planet.

yeah, that's the story Koyaanisqatsi tells, it's a critique, really. it has beauty but it has ugly, too. it shows the differences, the consequences, the future

at the top of our field, we have the incredible incredible INCREDIBLE Rob Whitworth, his latest if we haven't seen yet: https://vimeo.com/117770305

and he captures the ideal life, the astounding, the beautiful, and he does it in really no way done before, his technical ability is what we strive for. but my problem here is that the ideal world is what is always captured, Qatsi differs from that, really shows the opposite. i want to differ from both.

what sort of poetic message is the question... i want to say something other than just presenting this beauty as the ideal because that's what i feel has been done to death. what is something new that i can to present via timelapse that will make people think? i have my ideas, but i'm really interested in hearing what others want to see

Rob really makes cool stuff.
He is in a nice position now: getting hired to make it and having all that access to do that :)
(Although I don't always like the HDR look...)

There is always the Vanitas-theme about death and decay. How everything ends.
Or the Sublime and the Beautiful which is about beauty and grandeur, but it also has this Romantic taste of mortality and divinity in it. It certainly isn't about modern cities or ideal life, maybe more about an idyllic yearning for awe :P

Beautiful images with a (poetic) message is even better, because it resonates at an emotional level and makes you think. Koyaanisqatsi is a great example of that. It is actually heartbreaking to see how we are destroying the planet.
yeah, that's the story Koyaanisqatsi tells, it's a critique, really. it has beauty but it has ugly, too. it shows the differences, the consequences, the future

To be honest, I disagree! I don't believe Koyaanisatsi is a critique, nor specifically contains any message of how we are destroying the planet. Certainly, in light of the global warming/climate change discoveries made in the last 20-25 years, it's easy to apply that message to Koyaanisqatsi but when it was made in the early '80s I don't believe the filmmakers had even heard of climate change or sustainability, let alone built any messages about it into Koyaanisqatsi. I believe that Koyaanisqatsi is a celebration of beauty, both of the natural world and of the man-made technological world, which although out of fashion today, was very much more fashionable and part of the common ethos back in the early '80s. I really don't think there is any particular narrative or message to Koyaanisqatsi, the filmmakers in my opinion deliberately left it abstract/ambiguous, so one can apply whatever message one wants or not apply any message.

what is the role of music and how important is it?

In the case of Koyaanisqatsi, it's supremely important! It helps provide a context, without which, Koyaanisqatsi is little more than a random montage of moving images. The score helps provide the emotional relationship between the natural/constructed world and the people which inhabit it.

G

Last edited:
@APE
Well, I guess you didn't pay enough attention if you think it is a random collection of shots/scenes that are strung together with great music.
The title itself means 'life out of balance', 'life in turmoil' or 'unbalanced life'.
The movie ends with sung Hopi prophecies meaning:

"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."

Where the last one seems to refer to a meteorite, the first to can easily be linked to use of resources while polluting the earth in the meantime. The second can easily be interpreted (in hindsight it's always easier ;) ) as rocket trails (the fear of the cold war) or traces of airlanes

Besides all that being in the few words that are in the movie; to me it was very clear from the first time I saw it:
the serene beauty of nature vs the demolition (the mining), the grotesque way food is being processed, the creepy junxtaposition of people relaxing on a beach next to a (what seems to be) a nucleair powerplant. It is a critique about how we ignorantly (the Las Vegas portraits) destroy the planet. How we exchange the organic natural shape of nature for the square and rectangles of skyscrapers and microchips.

Besides all that, awereness about pollution isn't something from just the past 20-25 years. Maybe it became a bit more mainstream in the early nineties when the alarm was sounded for ozone layer, but for instance: Greenpeace was founded in the early 70s to protest nucleair testing. Before the 80s started they protested whaling and the dumping of toxic waste.
In 1892 the Sierra Club was founded by Muir after he succesfully lobbied to make Yosemite a National Park; at first the club just wanted to preserve nature. Around 1970 the focus broadend (within other groups as well) to air and water pollution and the exploitation of natural resources. Environmentalism actually got a lot of support from the counterculture. (Punk was also an expression of counterculture.)
In 1962 a book about the danger of DDT was released, making the public aware of it, resulting in a ban in the USA in 1970. (Nowadays it is only used in Africa to kill mosquitos in the struggle against malaria.)
a
So, the observation that mankind is destroying it's own home isn't from the last 20-25 years. The last 20-25 years just yielded more data that shows the impact of our society on our planet.

PS.
your last quoted piece isn't mine :P

Last edited:
Well, I guess you didn't pay enough attention if you think it is a random collection of shots/scenes that are strung together with great music.

No, I'm going on an interview with the director I vaguely remember reading many years ago. I can't find that interview online but I have found some quotes by the director:

"KOYAANISQATSI is not so much about something, nor does it have a specific meaning or value.... The film's role is to provoke, to raise questions that only the audience can answer. This is the highest value of any work of art, not predetermined meaning, but meaning gleaned from the experience of the encounter. ... So in the sense of art, the meaning of KOYAANISQATSI is whatever you wish to make of it." - Godfrey Reggio

"Reggio stated that the Qatsi films are intended to simply create an experience and that "it is up [to] the viewer to take for himself/herself what it is that [the film] means." He also said that "these films have never been about the effect of technology..." - Wiki

G

yeah, you're both right, he did say that he meant for the viewer to make the meaning, but at the same time, i think even if Reggio didn't intend for that specific meaning, it comes through strongly for many viewers because of the Glass soundtrack. i'm sure Koyaanisqatsi could be discussed all day, but...

annnyway, other thoughts about timelapse in general?

Back