How would you market a web-series?

I'm coming up with a list of forums to join to promote my web-series, once it gets released.

What else would help me get the word out about this show?

In general this film makers forum probably isn't going to promote other film making forums...
I only have used one or two others... and never got replies. This is by far the best that I have used

web-series, once it gets released.

How's your web-series being produced? By yourself on YouTube? By Koldcast, or a similar platform?

What else would help me get the word out about this show?

Having a quality product is the biggest single thing you can do, to get other people to want to talk about your web-series. Does your new web-series look good? Sound good? Flow well? Is genuinely funny/exciting/dramatic/whatever it is?

-Be consistent. Webseries have a pretty bad stigma to them in the fact that most wind up dead projects... your challenge is to prove to the average viewer that your project is different and worth sticking with. Nearly all of the "webseries" community sites that aggregate webseries consist almost entirely of dead, incomplete shows.

-Update frequently. Once a week or once every other week minimum. People can't see what you are doing, and creators tend to forget this. If you don't post anything, you will lose any viewers that you've worked so hard to gain.

-If your main production takes a while to put together, consider side projects that are related to your content but don't take as long to make. Your main production can be the "attention getter", and your side-projects can be your "attention retainer".

-Ask for suggestions! You may not get a response at first... but you will eventually gather a "cult" following. Even if it is only a couple of folks, those few individuals who care most about your project are a goldmine of information and advice. As a developer, it is often hard to put yourself in the viewer's shoes so these people can... in a way... be your eyes.

-Keep your content short. Six 5-minute episodes is far more impressive looking than a single 30 minute episode... even though the exact same amount of work is involved between the two.

-Everything you release should improve upon the previous. Your quality standards may start low, but people will notice when your content gets better with every release.

-Forums will only get you so far... and you need to genuinely contribute to the community you decide to enter. Example: I partake in the Lightwave forums (the software I use for 3d) because I'm a 3d enthusiast. When I bring up my project, I make sure that it is strongly relevant to the discussion; people will take you way more seriously that way and you may get some valuable feedback in return!

-Finally, if your show is based on current events or pop-culture, then you need to be a human radar and release content that coincides with it. If parodying a movie, for example, you essentially benefit from the millions of dollars worth of advertising they put out, which in turn makes their content a common search term for a brief period of time.

This is just from my own experiences.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get a youtube network to pick it up, but that KoldCast thing seems like a viable option.. thank you for making me aware of that.

And yes, that's our number one priority for this show is quality... mostly because this is practice for feature films.

-Be consistent. Webseries have a pretty bad stigma to them in the fact that most wind up dead projects... your challenge is to prove to the average viewer that your project is different and worth sticking with. Nearly all of the "webseries" community sites that aggregate webseries consist almost entirely of dead, incomplete shows.

-Update frequently. Once a week or once every other week minimum. People can't see what you are doing, and creators tend to forget this. If you don't post anything, you will lose any viewers that you've worked so hard to gain.

-If your main production takes a while to put together, consider side projects that are related to your content but don't take as long to make. Your main production can be the "attention getter", and your side-projects can be your "attention retainer".

-Ask for suggestions! You may not get a response at first... but you will eventually gather a "cult" following. Even if it is only a couple of folks, those few individuals who care most about your project are a goldmine of information and advice. As a developer, it is often hard to put yourself in the viewer's shoes so these people can... in a way... be your eyes.

-Keep your content short. Six 5-minute episodes is far more impressive looking than a single 30 minute episode... even though the exact same amount of work is involved between the two.

-Everything you release should improve upon the previous. Your quality standards may start low, but people will notice when your content gets better with every release.

-Forums will only get you so far... and you need to genuinely contribute to the community you decide to enter. Example: I partake in the Lightwave forums (the software I use for 3d) because I'm a 3d enthusiast. When I bring up my project, I make sure that it is strongly relevant to the discussion; people will take you way more seriously that way and you may get some valuable feedback in return!

This is just from my own experiences.

That's some good advice, thank you. I'm looking for more info on "Getting the word out"

That's some good advice, thank you. I'm looking for more info on "Getting the word out"

I think we need to know more about what you'd like to do... as not all advice applies to all content.

-Is your content going to parody pop-culture/movies?

-Is your content going to have its own "brand" of entertainment that isn't consistent of parodies?

-Do you know who your target audience is? Where do you think they will be from? What is the demographic? Age? This information really helps you make content that resonates with people.

As for platform, it is really a matter of preference. YouTube is nice, but I'm willing to bet that if you get to the point of monetizing your stuff that other sites may have a larger pay-to-view/click ratio.

Back