• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Script to Screen - "Scare Tactics"

This film has been complete for some time now, but not quite long enough to enter it into the "Script to Screen Challenge." This was my version of "Scare Tactics" - written by Steve Gelder. It's a 36MB mp4 file - sorry about the large size of the file, but the original is over 40GB as it was shot in HD - so the compression is very heavy and the screen size is pretty small. If you have a few minutes please check it out - the run time is 08:30.

http://redgiantproductions.com/scaretacticssmall.mp4

Nice cinematography, nice costumes, nice set. Well done. Mary's voice sounded a bit muffled. The acting was really fun...it's really great to see the different takes on the same dialog. I think it felt a little rushed though, slowing down a bit more in the beginning would make mom's story have more intensity.

I really liked the blocking and the camera work, I have to figure out how to get past my locked camera-itis.

At the end, I almost expected the mom to grab the bag from the table :)

The credits flickered too badly to read. I recently learned that if you construct your credits in a progressive timeline, then import them to your regular 60i timeline, the flicker is greatly reduced...there's some math stuff for the font size as well, but that would take too much effort to figure out.

hey knightly - thanks for watching and giving your feedback - I appreciate it

I think the credit flicker in this case is caused by heavy compression - as the whole thing was constructed/shot/exported progressive - but who knows?

We were lucky to have a great cast/crew involved in this production and a great script by Steve Gelder to work with. Mary was definitely the toughest role for us to cast - there were some actors who auditioned who were fantastic actors, but didn't really look the part - then there were those who looked the part, but didn't have any acting experience - overall, I'm really happy with the actors performances. If they don't seem quite right then I would take responsibility for that as the director because their performances were nearly spot-on of what I wanted from them.

I really liked the blocking and the camera work, I have to figure out how to get past my locked camera-itis.

Thanks - we actually had a few more dolly shot planned - but we only had the actors for one day, so due to time constraints I had to start cutting some corners, which included losing a few shots I really wanted to get. In addition, we shot this in my living room - so with all the cast/crew and equipment - plus set pieces - there just wasn't a whole lot of room to set the dolly up - which also helped me in my decision making:)

I thought everything looked great! I'll (respectfully) disagree with Knightly's assessment of the pacing. It is a dialogue-heavy script with no real action to speak of ... so the quicker paced delivery helps keep things moving along. The only thing that struck me as "odd" was the way I interpreted the mom's delivery of her ordeal. She seems like such a sweet lady that her traumatic story came across as "not so bad." Overall, I thought it was a great job -- its too bad you weren't able to submit it on time for the competition, but thanks for sharing it with us nonetheless!

Yeah, I agree with Knightly as well, but I do not share in John's "respect."

The pacing was too slow for me. Maybe it's because I've read the script and seen the other versions (including my own half finished one), but it seemed like it was dragging at the beginning.

I want to echo the kudos on the cinematography -- EXCELLENT lighting!

Poke

Hey, Mark!

Looks cool - I like what your actors brought to the script, the production values are great, and you definitely got the comedic elements of the script in the performances. I do miss Knightly's photo montage a bit.

My own thoughts for the script, when I was considering production, were to have a young look-alike for the Mom's character, and to have a flashback going on while Mom told the story...lots of black and white footage, with young Mom standing on a small stage in the middle of some men in suits, being handed a chicken when she talks about being forced to do things for businessmen that she doesn't think Kitten needds to know, showing her in a hay strewn cell when she grabs a pigeon and rams it in her captor's ear...

It's been an interesting experience, seeing how two different directors interpret your script as opposed to your own vision for it. Think this excercise will make it easier for me letting go of more scripts in the future.

steve

Back