• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My very first short... ("...and it looks spectacular")

Depends on what you mean by "Very little money" ;)

Actually the cinematography looks wonderful as you know already. Shooting in 'scope, a period piece, on location, and with the cast you did for your first time is certainly an achievement in itself.

Very intriguing, and my hat is off to you.

How did you happen to pull together such a high-level production for your first time? And can you talk at all about your budget? What stock did you shoot on?

Looks quite brilliant, actually. The cinematography is sharp- nice 35mm. Acting looks great... everything A+. You wrote there it was something that was really put together to show off your cinematography and editing skills, but it looks like the rest of the pieces fit pretty well. Just from the trailer, it looks like award winning material. I'd be interested in seeing this.

I also forward Wideshot's questions about the budget. Do you have more behind the scenes info somewhere?
Whatever you did, it looks like it will pay off!

Last edited:
Seems a little excessive for a short film to be honest... I've also never seen the point of giving a 'short' film a trailer... why didn't you do a feature? Seems like you had all the resources, and its a bit of a shame to see them sort of wasted on a short.

I agree with with Shot Renegade it seams a bit much for a short but if you have the money might as well. Looks great though I would be proud of it.

Seems a little excessive for a short film to be honest...

I didn't spend nowhere near what it looks like.

My budget was a fifth of what a couple of friends of mine spent on theirs shooting in DVCPRO. A FIFTH.

Very likely my budget was like yours. Maybe even less. In fact, I don't own a post production facility like you do.

I've also never seen the point of giving a 'short' film a trailer... .

If the entiire short gets posted on the internet it will be unelegible to be submitted to festivals, hence the trailer online. Is that point that really difficult for you to grasp?

bslazas, TLMAlexGro, John@Bophe, Spatula, thanks for liking it.

wideshot, here some specs:

film negative format: 35mm
cinematographic process: anamorphic, technovision
aspect ratio: cinemascope 2.35:1
lenses: anamorphic tecnovision (same of Apocalypse Now. and I mean PHYSICALLY the same)
camera: Arriflex BL4
laboratory: Technicolor Rome
film stock: 35mm kodak (they were all various ends)

Oh but it's not an automatic disqualifier? I've been looking into a few fests and I haven't seen any that say they won't accept a film that's been posted online. I thought I was missing some universal rule here and was about to go pull it from MySpace.

Also, wouldn't the first festival you show it at still be the premiere? It's the first time it's being physically shown to an audience in it's full resolution, they can't argue that a compressed-to-hell MySpace video counts as a world premiere, can they?

Some might, yes. But generally, it's probably not worth worrying about.

I imagine, however given the quality of Linda's short, she's got her sights set on the big fests, and she likely has a game plan for release/marketing as well. Rightly so. If the trailer is anything to judge the whole film by, it's likely she will make some waves, and that's best kept off the net, at least for a while.

Kudos Linda.

Very nice looking trailer. I guess you had a hard time to get together some action sequences as it seems to be not a high action movie (where you would have tons of that kind of footage to choose from).

Where did you find this nice location in Italy? Is it an old Roman settlement?

Back