/// Shot by a GH1 or GH2

m truly loving this thread,... but i do have a question-
driftwood's latest patch v6, he says that this patch is excellent for documentary style filmmaking..
so my question is which patch is good for narratives? I have a 64gb sandisk 45mbps sdxc.. so how far can i go with the bitrate and is it really worth pushing it in the 200?
thanks

driftwood's latest patch v6, he says that this patch is excellent for documentary style filmmaking..
so my question is which patch is good for narratives? I have a 64gb sandisk 45mbps sdxc.. so how far can i go with the bitrate and is it really worth pushing it in the 200?
thanks

I'm not a patch guru but...afaik, the patches all have their strength and weaknesses. Some are good in low light, some a extremely stable, some are good for slomo, it's a grab bag. 200mb/sec obviously will create huge files and there are stability issues, esp if you don't have a fast card. But on the other hand, the highest bitrate patches record discrete frames and some rave about the filmic way they render motion. So for action sequences, might be a good choice.

thanks

V6 is also good for narratives. (use 24p) But if you want the best quality you'll need GOP1 patches.
Like: Sedna, crossfire, canis majoris. All high bitrate patches. Your card will do great.
I have a sandisk 32gb 45mb/S and tried those 3 patches, no problems at all.
But Cluster V6 has almost the same quality with a lower bitrate.

Quantum 9b seems to be very good, never tried that one.

Thanks man.. I'll try V6 cause I don't have a lot of hard disk space for really high quality ones..
Also
a)Do you still transcode the footage? I use CS6
b)What is the diff between GOP and Intra patches? Is it file size?
c)Canis Majoris seems to be really good in low light condition.. Can I install 2 patches (say, V6 and Canis) at the same time?

Cheers

Thanks man.. I'll try V6 cause I don't have a lot of hard disk space for really high quality ones..
Also
a)Do you still transcode the footage? I use CS6
b)What is the diff between GOP and Intra patches? Is it file size?
c)Canis Majoris seems to be really good in low light condition.. Can I install 2 patches (say, V6 and Canis) at the same time?

Cheers

a: I use 5DtoRGB to transcode it to proress. (Or log and transfer in final cut)
b: http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=C&section=12&tasks=true
maybe thi's helps (gop = group of pictures)
c: No, that is not possible. But sometimes if i have to shoot something, I have an extra card with me with a different hack.

@ brunerww

I used a combination of a DIY dolly (that you can see in my subjects sunglasses) and handheld with warp stabalizer in post with after effects. That thing is great

And yes the moire was in my original footage. Why is that and how do I eliminate it? I'm still pretty noob with th gh2... and film making for that matter.

@ brunerww

I used a combination of a DIY dolly (that you can see in my subjects sunglasses) and handheld with warp stabalizer in post with after effects. That thing is great

And yes the moire was in my original footage. Why is that and how do I eliminate it? I'm still pretty noob with th gh2... and film making for that matter.

No need to apologize for being a noob. You're light years ahead of where I was with a Super 8 camera in film school 30 years ago :)

The GH2 is a lot less subject to moire than Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLR/DSLT cameras, but it still has a hard time with narrowly spaced horizontal parallel lines (e.g., venetian blinds, wood grain).

Keep working on your technique, you have a good eye for cinema.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back