• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Uuugh, whats that movie still??

So frustrated!

I remember seeing a screenshot from some movie, which I can't remember, but it had one of the most bad asses lighting.

BUT i have no idea where I've seen it or whats the name of it. Googled for a while and giving up. Maybe somebody here might know??

I sketched how the shot looked

IMG_20111027_211406.jpg

Its from the recent movie. People with guns (2 guys in FBI jackets, and 3 in regular police uniform i think) entering the room. There is bright daylight that goes through the blinds, and all men have flashlights. There is fog in the room, so the light from the flashlights and blinds is visible... And I remember it was color graded green..

Any idea? :( HELP! Its gonna bug me for a long time..

The best I can offer is "SE7EN", when they go to find the 'Sloth' victim. But I'm sure if that was it, you'd probably remember that...

YES!!!! the picture i saw was a still from that scene! thank you!

vinyle: yes.. he carriers a giant "7" with him :lol:.. i guess thats my subconscious telling me the name of the movie :)

Seven-Video.jpg

Yea, this was the picture

How do you think it was lit?
was it done with strong, maybe two 10k white box outside the window, and fog on the scene with grey/faded green color dressed set?

Last edited:
How do you think it was lit?
was it done with strong, maybe two 10k white box outside the window, and fog on the scene with grey/faded green color dressed set?

That's a pretty good guess. I wonder if the flashlights daylight balanced?

What a great film.

Trivia: they ended up building the library set because they weren't able to shoot at the actual location (NY City Library?) for as long as they needed to (or thereabouts)

Damn, hatter. Are you psychic? Amazing call!

I would say there is a 10k with 214 Full Tough Spun shooting
through the window, a 5k with heavy silk and some flags on the
back wall and a 5k in the hallway with 252 1/8 White Diffusion.
The flashlights are most likely 1k halogens. Lots of haze in the
room - obviously

Just for some quick math (and to show how much light it takes to make places look dark and moody)...

5 flash lights bring that total to 25,000 watts of light in that shot by rik's estimations, which I think sound quite accurate... or 25 high capacity 1k work lights, or 250 clamp lights @ 100 watts each.

Plus a room hazer.

Haze is different than smoke which is different than fog.

Haze is a light cloud of very tiny particles that generally cannot
be seen until lit. Fog is a thicker more opaque cloud that is heavy
enough to lay on the ground or be wafted across the screen.
Smoke is even more opaque and rises quickly.

Se7en was the first thing that popped into my head when I first read your post, but the "color shaded green" part threw me -- it strikes me as more bluish than green.

That is one of my all time favorite films. It's look has definitely influenced my work, as evident in this frame grab from CRIMPS:

flashlight%20tunnel.jpg

Well, that particular frame is a tight shot of a much longer passageway. Since we had a number of scenes to shoot there, we just lit the full length of the passageway, which took a couple of hours. Amazing how much light it takes to make something look dark. Once it was lit, though, we were able to do multiple setups - looking both directions - with a minimal amount of tweaking in between.

Here's another shot of the same passageway, looking the opposite direction:
m%20chandler%202.jpg

Though enhanced slightly in post, most of what you see there was done in camera. We pumped a lot of smoke around the actor, then set a very bright spotlight directly behind her aimed straight at her back.

Back