• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch DAWN

How was it?

• Awesome! :)))))

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Good! :))

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay :

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • |Terrible :(

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Hey all, here's SK Films newest film! I'm Steve, The Director, Writer, and Editor. My Bro Zak is starring. Let me know what you think! We sent this to Eerie Horror Film Festival, But it didn't make it. But thats okay. Some of you may remember our first film, Carnevil, which was posted here back in May.

SK Films Presents DAWN.......

DAWN

Thanks all, Questions, Criticism, and Comments all wanted and expected!

Steve :director:
SK Films :cool:

Steve,

First, I should say that your filmmaking ability has improved about 200% since Carnevil. This is a much more effective movie. There are some very good moments in this.

I like how you kept some things very dark. I also thought editing was well done. About the editing though -- even though it is well done...it feels like you are still trying to mimic the movies you like. The quick static cuts with noise effects have been done plenty in modern horror films. Perhaps you come come up with a new "SK-style" alternative?

I think one of the best shots was of the
foot disappearing through the doorway
. That had a definite creepy tone. Another good shot was of the light going in and out of focus. Simple yet effective. Actually, the music, lighting and camera work established a very natural creepiness, which is why I think the special visual effects actually worked against the movie. The
hologram effect in the basement and of the birds
immediately took me out of the suspense because they were so out of place. Its cool that you are experimenting with visual effects, but in some instances (like this one) simpler is often better.

There were a few technical issues that could be cleaned up.
At 3:24 the actor looks at the camera just before the cut -- perhaps you could trim back the scene by a second to avoid that look. At 10:41, I can see the thumb of the person holding the paper on the right. I don't know if that is intentional, but it looks like an error. Perhaps you could use you pan/crop tool to zoom in just a touch and push the thumb out of the frame.

Overall -- you are clearly headed in the right direction and I'm curious to see where you go from here. Good work!

I plan to comment and vote, but I've been busy lately (not to mention still dealing with hurricane Ike cleanup and catch up) and have only watched about half so far. John has touched on many of my first impressions. Yes, definitely leaps and bounds ahead of your last project. Keep up that pace.

Awesome!

Steve,

First, I should say that your filmmaking ability has improved about 200% since Carnevil. This is a much more effective movie. There are some very good moments in this.

I like how you kept some things very dark. I also thought editing was well done. About the editing though -- even though it is well done...it feels like you are still trying to mimic the movies you like. The quick static cuts with noise effects have been done plenty in modern horror films. Perhaps you come come up with a new "SK-style" alternative?

I think one of the best shots was of the
foot disappearing through the doorway
. That had a definite creepy tone. Another good shot was of the light going in and out of focus. Simple yet effective. Actually, the music, lighting and camera work established a very natural creepiness, which is why I think the special visual effects actually worked against the movie. The
hologram effect in the basement and of the birds
immediately took me out of the suspense because they were so out of place. Its cool that you are experimenting with visual effects, but in some instances (like this one) simpler is often better.

There were a few technical issues that could be cleaned up.
At 3:24 the actor looks at the camera just before the cut -- perhaps you could trim back the scene by a second to avoid that look. At 10:41, I can see the thumb of the person holding the paper on the right. I don't know if that is intentional, but it looks like an error. Perhaps you could use you pan/crop tool to zoom in just a touch and push the thumb out of the frame.

Overall -- you are clearly headed in the right direction and I'm curious to see where you go from here. Good work!

Man.

You have no idea how good it feels to hear that. :lol:

Thanks for the positive comments! I know about some of the inconsistencies, as for some of the other stuff, I'll leave that for you to decide on whether they were errors or not ;)
maybe the clock- time- is just so messed up in whatever dimension he's in that time is all an illusion....
just throwing that out there as a possibility....

Thanks so much!
-Steve

Back