• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch [Trailer] Crowdfunded Superhero Feature Avery and Pete

Kholi, Kholi, Kholi- we want it now! If we have to wait then please keep us regularly updated...

Post-production is about as interesting as watching paint dry but I wanna know what you're going through ;)

Hey man,

The trailer is great. I'm most impressed with the work you did with the actors. They seem to properly "click" together and deliver a genuine performance without being too over the top. This is something a lot of people fail to deliver when working on indie projects, but you seemed to have properly pulled it off. So great work from you and your actors.

I'm extremely amazed at the fact that you made a feature for such a small budget and one that looks as fun and interesting as this one.

My only problem with what I saw is some of the visual effects; while I don't expect them to be top-Hollywood grade, I could easily spot some Videocopilot stock footage in there. This probably isn't an issue with most viewers, but these specific effects have plagued web videos in many badly-used compositions. I think that when deciding to use stock footage of any kind, especially something as popular as Action Essentials 2, you really need to work on hiding it well so that it doesn't pop out for people who play around with it. In this case, a lot of people know Andrew Kramer's work.

I'm just nitpicking on something this small because the rest of the package is impressive.

Good luck with your film.

Hey Daniel, this is actually a very very solid point. What's interesting is this:

I actually didn't do any of the VFX, it's one of my good friends' work and it's also his first time doing anything like this. He did everything himself and was learnin' as he went, which is pretty amazing... but what's even MORE amazing is that I've been doing this stuff for years and I actually have no idea which effects were video co-pilot.

Could you tell me which ones? LOL I'm dead serious, too.

I'm saying this as it's one of the things that I've learned over time. No matter what we as filmmakers or creators recognize as something very obvious, the very vast majority of the audience really won't have any idea, and it won't take away from anything for those people.

In many movies I see camera gear or camera cases doubling for "special" cases or just space filling objects, and it's CLEARLY a camera case (I've even seen the shipping labels on some), but nobody else around me would notice such a thing. I'm pretty harsh on myself, but have grown to accept that some things you just have to let go and keep movin' forward, otherwise they'll hold ya back/slow ya down. And we're already slow as it is! xD Haha

So, yeah, more money would mean creating a lot of elements from scratch. The fire stuff, I really wanted to go out and shoot 5K fire plates but after he did his initial tests I decided that, for this project, it wasn't necessary. But, definitely, when there's more cash/budget we're going to hire an actual team for him to lead and create something even better.

Thanks for checking it out, man! Appreciate the kind words.

Kholi, Kholi, Kholi- we want it now! If we have to wait then please keep us regularly updated...

Post-production is about as interesting as watching paint dry but I wanna know what you're going through ;)

Ah man... it's really not that interesting. Well to me it is, but I can't see it being something to update about.

It's literally sitting behind my good friend Matt as he scores the movie, we hear something we like and geek out and that goes in then it dies down for a few days (even weeks) as we try to make money to feed ourselves and pay rent! xD

In the meantime I tweaked the cut up until I couldn't anymore--for audio purposes, and now just kind of trying to get it finished.

Poster could be interesting, or fun. But, I don't know how to do a poster. So it's likely to be a bit of a disaster haha.

Cool. Glad to hear it's coming along. I'm still really stoked to see this.

Poster sure would be good! Keep on movin' :)

Thanks Dready and Steve. Some point here!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the effects look great. Um, I guess they look a tad Video Copilot-y, but I honestly agree with Kholi -- regular audience members won't know of such a thing. All that matters is that it's convincing, and from what I've seen, it is. Plus, Video Copilot is awesome.

Could you tell me which ones? LOL I'm dead serious, too.

I can tell the ones that I noticed, if I missed any, it's just because they where properly composed. Most VFX look good enough in there, I'm just being an annoying nitpicker :)

The one that stood out the most was when Avery opens his palm and there is a halo of fire around it. (And is probably the only real obvious one) While your VFX guy did add particles around and a few other extras to composite it right, I think that using a tool such as liquify to bend the stock-flame around his fingers would make the effect seem more realistic and hide it from being seen as Action Essentials 2 stock footage.

Again, this is only minor and as you and the post above me states, it's only noticeable for a very small portion of the audience. However, you stated that when you see a camera case in a shot standing in something else, it quickly stands out for you. So it did the same to me, after seeing the same stock used way too many times and being able to spot it.

Oh for sure, I hope it didn't seem like I was actually against your thoughts on that stuff. I wasn't!

Definitely agree, but was offering up another perspective to go alongside, not to counterpoint, your comment. Yes, if there was more money from the get-go a lot of it would be much better visually, just have to do what you can and create y'know!

Next time. Or, well maybe the time after next xD

Daniel,

check out kholi and company's show reel here http://rainfall.tv/showreel/. You'll be so jealous, you will want to sell your equipment and purchase a lethal weapon to inflict fatal pain to your skull. I almost walked out of my own apartment in disgust, as a feeling of total worthlessness came over me and ...

enjoy

Daniel,

check out kholi and company's show reel here http://rainfall.tv/showreel/. You'll be so jealous, you will want to sell your equipment and purchase a lethal weapon to inflict fatal pain to your skull. I almost walked out of my own apartment in disgust, as a feeling of total worthlessness came over me and ...

enjoy

Hey man, I'm already envious by the mere fact he made a feature. :) Also, it is a great show-reel, love the Machinarium music! ;)

I keep hoping to eventually find my way to the U.S as it has more opportunity than my country.

Daniel,

enjoy

Haha! Yeah Rainfall does a lot of post work. I'm actually no longer at Rainfall, and the work on SS was done by a really good friend outside of that umbrella as well.

Don't hurt yourself! xD Turn that energy into creation.

Impressive, did you do all that on just the 17.5k from kickstarter or did you have extra funding from other sources?

We shot it out on the KS and what we had in our pockets, and then post has its own expenses.

Weird thing is that the money that I had, personally, came from having my gear stolen and a Poptent purchase, haha. Those were the signs that I needed to make me go out and just try it at least.

Not sure how it's gonna turn out, though!

Oi...

Well should be no surprise that without the dough, things start to crawl. And, especially if you're in WAY over your head. Today I have the first DVD screener:
ssdvd.jpg

Next week will probably bring the longest and darkest days ever, but it's still kind of neat seeing an actual DVD of this thing...

If having children's anything like trying to deliver a feature film, not sure I want children. This one took forever to start looking for a damned job. =X

www.facebook.com/superseeds -- the actual movie poster's there if interested, and however many followers we can get that are genuinely interested in the project? The better.

Back