• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Interactive films

Hello what is everyone's opinion on interactive films?
I'm considering producing a film which involves the viewer making a decision which generates different endings. What are your thoughts?

I'm a big fan of CYOA books (especially the old Steve Jackson ones). You could probably find a niche market for CYOA video, sure. I'm tempted to do one, too.

About a year ago, someone on the forums posted their CYOA attempt. It was pretty basic, but the mechanics for it are already built into YouTube - stopping playback automatically at pre-determined points, and URL t= overlays for choices. I'll see if I can find that thread.

I'm a fan as well (still have my old Grail Quest and D&D Endless Quest books. Nearly the full collection of the latter). I've enjoyed some of the video attempts at it (D&D Scourge of Winds DVD). If I recall, the sequel to the House on Haunted Hill remake had a CYOA mode on the blu-ray (never saw it...the regular version wasn't that great, but I wonder if it might have been better interactive).

YouTube seems like a great medium for it. To do it right, I imagine production would be tough, depending on how many forks you put in (and how long between forks)

Another way to do it ok youtube is to make different videos which are private and then have the viewer pick options at forks to switch videos.. Or alternatively to make an early decision and watch a different film based on that.

I'd like to check out more of these. I liked the feature on 11:14 that allowed you to switch around and see what what going on elsewhere at the same time with another character.

Back