• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Treatment or Script

In one of my class, directing students has to work with the screenwriting students on one of their feature scripts to polish it. Basically the writer will have his/her completed script and the director will collaborate with the writer to refine it. Any changes were welcome as long as both the writer and the director agrees to it. We are not going to shoot the script or anything. The purpose of this project is for both the students to learn how to collaborate with each other.

The screenwriting student I am collaborating with, I asked her for the treatment first instead of the script. I thought, if I have the treatment, it would be easy for me to figure out the structure, to see what scenes need to be taken out, what scenes need to be added and also to see other story elements (like theme, symbolism etc.). She said she started with the outline and the treatment and then the script but looks like she made a lot of changes in the script without updating the treatment. Other students also pretty much did the same. I don't know whether I should tell her to update the treatment or I should just start reading the script. I would like to know:

1) In the professional word, when the director first time read the script, does he/she first read the treatment and then the script or do they directly read the script?
2) I always felt that 10 - 20 page treatment would be much better to figure out the structure and the other storytelling elements than the script. Would that be right or are there any better way to do?
3) Does the writers in the professional world go back and update the treatment if they make any changes in the script?

Thanks.

Generally speaking is different from one producer to the next.

Usually I think you'll pitch to a producer with a log line and basic query letter. Then they may ask for a treatment or synopsis along with the script.

In my experience, I usually do the outline first to help steer the script. After my vomit draft, I take time away from the script and make my treatment. Finally, I finish the script and write a synopsis.

This way you're completely covered of someone asks for any of the documents.

I'm not a professional writer, but I've written 8 features and directed 3 of them. I've never gone back and updated a treatment or outline, no matter how much the script changes from the original concept. I'm also finding these days that I write a treatment less and less. Early on they were great for helping me to figure out the story, but I've switched almost completely to outlines and do the first draft based on that. When I do write a treatment, it's usually no more than 3 or 5 pages.

My advice is read it twice. First read it through to get the grasp of it with no notes.

Next pass, make your notes.

A screenplay does not take long to read, even a feature.

I don't know whether I should tell her to update the treatment or I should just start reading the script.
Just read the script.

1) In the professional word, when the director first time read the script, does he/she first read the treatment and then the script or do they directly read the script?
In most cases the director sees a finished script. It's very rare
that a writer will show a director a treatment.
2) I always felt that 10 - 20 page treatment would be much better to figure out the structure and the other storytelling elements than the script. Would that be right or are there any better way to do?
How you feel is up to you. In this case (learning to collaborate) you have
the opportunity to work with someone who doesn't feel the way you feel.
3) Does the writers in the professional world go back and update the treatment if they make any changes in the script?
Almost never. The treatment is usually for the writer to gather thoughts
for their screenplay. It changes. No need to go back to it.

Just read the script.

In most cases the director sees a finished script. It's very rare
that a writer will show a director a treatment.

How you feel is up to you. In this case (learning to collaborate) you have
the opportunity to work with someone who doesn't feel the way you feel.

Almost never. The treatment is usually for the writer to gather thoughts
for their screenplay. It changes. No need to go back to it.

Thank you.

Back