• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shot on what?

So, every gear nerd has a deep desire to know all the tech ins and outs for the movies they watch, right? Well, just found out about a pretty killer site that not only lists what cameras and lenses, but even more detailed info down to the film stock and speed.

Fun to read and dig through, hope you enjoy it!

http://shotonwhat.com

Disclaimer, if needed? I'm not involved in the site or know anyone who is so I didn't stick it in promo. Considering the topic it seems to fit pretty well here.

So Avatar was edited on Avid, Premiere and Autodesk Smoke? How does that work? Wouldn't a film stick to one NLE? I mean I stick to Premiere/After Effects for most films and if I use Final Cut then the whole film will get edited on it generaly...

I saw them talk a lot about Avatar and CS5 (way before t's release Adobe have them beta) at NAB a couple years back. They used Premiere and After Effects live on set to quickly key green screen stuff in with backgrounds and see what they were getting. The mercury playback made it all instant, and they could adjust stuff from there.

I'm sure they put the final thing together in Avid/Autodesk since that's what most every big production edit still uses.

Back