Where to go from here?

At the moment I don't have much equipment to make a film. Here is what I have so far:

Camera: Canon 650d
Lenses: Canon 50mm F/1.8 II, Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens, Canon 55-250mm Kit Lens
Audio Recorder: Zoom H1
Tripod: Random Tripod that isn't very good for video work in terms of pan and tilt.

That is pretty much all that is available to me at the moment. I'm looking to invest in some more gear to add to my inventory. But what do I invest in first?; what should my priorities be? Should I get a new lens? New camera? Better tripod? Lighting gear? There is so much equipment involved as you all know which is why I am so confused in what to get first.

Please help. :L

Cheers

I think you're fine on camera until you upgrade some other things. I would probably start out with getting another prime lens - something like a 35 mm. Also, if you upgrade your camera, you will probably have to upgrade your tripod first, depending on the weight of the camera. Lights would be a good investment, too, but obviously can be very expensive, especially if you are going to purchase diffusion, sandbags, bounce cards, ctb/cto and eveything else that will help you get the look you want.

You may even want to consider getting a shoulder rig or a really cheap steadicam alternative. I have one and I love the dynamic shots you can get with it. It's possibly my favorite filmmaking tool that I own.

Back