• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Should I learn After Effects?

I'm viewed more as a Stanley Kubrick type film-maker and I like to just film and edit without special effects, lens flares and so on. To be honest I'm tired of seeing everyone making films with cheesy effects. But is it worth while to learn After Effects? I tried learning once before but just got bored and left it, but I know it's powerful and I have it sitting on my PC, so what do you think?

It doesn't seem to interest you and you don't seem to use it...
So, why do you think you might have to learn it? :P

I'd say yes, if you want to and you have the time:
Try to learn at least the basics and see what you can use it for.
It's not only cheasy stuff you can use it for...

After Effects is not a program you learn by trying once.
So, maybe you can use that time to make a film instead?

I think it's worth learning it for the experience of it with the basics. THere's a lot of non cheesy effects that can be accomplished. And a good portion of effects if used correctly aren't cheesy

I'm viewed more as a Stanley Kubrick type film-maker and I like to just film and edit without special effects, lens flares and so on. To be honest I'm tired of seeing everyone making films with cheesy effects. But is it worth while to learn After Effects? I tried learning once before but just got bored and left it, but I know it's powerful and I have it sitting on my PC, so what do you think?

In my opinion (for what it's worth...) - no.

It's a tool like any other and possibly the wrong tool for what you want to do. Why use a fork when what you want is a knife?

Why do something you don't enjoy and does not fit into your style of film making?

If asked, I'd suggest doing what's important to you, what you like artistically and go your own way. Why copy everyone else when you could become amazing at what you do?

Just my $0.02

I'm not a master at it, but my effects with it basically go as follows: I need something done, I find a tutorial on how to do it... follow it... export.

Half the time, I don't even know what the steps do exactly, but the outcome is always great, and along the way I've learned how to use it.

When I first looked at its interface I thought it would require witchcraft to figure it out.

Half the time, I don't even know what the steps do exactly, but the outcome is always great, and along the way I've learned how to use it.

This is a pretty contradictory statement.. If you don't know what the steps you're taking are doing, then you haven't really learned.. mimiced, perhaps, but not learned.

I mean learned certain things, like what a solid is, or an adjustment layer. I didn't say I learned everything, but I have advanced past the "this requires witchraft" stage

I do the same as you.. I then modify the effects to what I want but who cares,

The only thing I was brave enough to modify was this 'shockwave' effect, where my character blasted off into space, and I needed to learn it.

if you can make it look good then do it I say!

My heart goes out to the tutorial-makers that figure these effects out.

AE makes me wanna put a bullet in my head sometimes

Is learning After Effects important to your career path? Are you a very controlling DIY filmmaker, or are you comfortable (and can afford to) delegate tasks to others? Does your work require the use of AE?

You could apply the same question to anything: should you learn Maya? Should you learn how to be a boom op? Should you learn how to break down scripts?

If it's relevant to you - go learn it. Don't learn something simply for the fact that 'it's cool' or 'everyone else is'. It seems to have no relevance to you, so why should you learn it? When/if you need it, you'll find someone who knows it a lot better than you could have. There are many who 'kinda' know a bit of After Effects, and very few of them are getting jobs for it - some of them might use the little they know in some of their films, but I guess you have to weigh up whether it's worth the time spent learning for what you'll actually end up using it for.

I learnt it, and took some AE classes in film school. It was cool, I guess, what you could do, but I haven't used it since.

IMO I'd spend the time becoming better at something that is absolutely necessary to the production of your film(s). I made a feature without AE and so can you. A well-written script can pretty much dispense the need for AE.

Good luck.

Are you interested in being hands on with the post production of your films? If not (i.e. you just want to be a director) then it's probably a waste of time.

Otherwise, yes. AE's not just about special effects, it's the swiss army knife of the post production world. If there's something you need to do to your image or file, you can probably get it done with AE.

But it is a tool - spending a day "playing around with it" will be about as useful as spending a day playing around with a set of wrenches in hopes of becoming a better mechanic. Come up with a real project that requires you to use AE to complete it and you'll learn it as you go.

If you are already familiar with working with programs like PhotoShop, Illustrator, Final Cut Studio, and Nuendo then After Effects is easy. I picked it up very fast. It will definitely save you some money by being able to do your own text graphics, touch-up work, etc.
I no longer make movies but I use AE all the time for YouTube videos. AE is great for creating short 5 minute movies for YouTube.

Back