• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice for camcorder.

Hi,
After having been filming with my regular camera, I came to the conclusion
that a camcorder will be much handier. I do not, however, have a very big budget.
Do you know any good camcorders for around 200-250€ ?

The camera MUST film full hd (1080), and MUST be around 200-250€ (of course, a
very good one for 350 is ok).
I'd like it to record at 60 or 60+ fps and I'd like it if it had quite a few
manual settings.

I know that I'm asking a lot, but it would be fantastic if anyone could tell me whether there are any camera's like the one I'm looking for.

K

In all honesty, I think you've got your priorities jumbled. Manual exposure and manual focus should be your top priorities (not full 1080), and unless you plan on spending just as much on your camera as you do on audio, an audio input should take equal precedence. Unless you're exclusively shooting music videos, you can't use the on-board mic. So, either you need a camera that you can plug a mic into, or you need to purchase an external recorder (which is a couple hundred, minimum).

If your price-range absolutely cannot be changed, honestly, I'd get a used camcorder that meets the more important specifications (HD or not). However, my opinion is that you should save up just a little more, and get the HDR-HC1 that directorik recommends.

Yes, DSLR is a very popular option. That's what I shoot on, and I love it. But it'll up your budget even more, because you'll also have to purchase an external audio recorder.

I don't know what you mean buy "unbalanced audio input". Care to expand on that ? ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

To be honest, I always thought that only XLR was balanced, but apparently that assumption was wrong. So, now I'm wondering how to tell the difference between a balanced and unbalanced connection. Maybe one of our audio guys can shed light? So, maybe the H1 does have a balanced connection?

Still, though, as directorik points out, even at less than $100, it's still an added expenditure. Might as well use that money for a better camera, one which has audio-in.

Back