I give you my plan, you give me your advice

My name is Blake and I want to make films. I live in Washington, DC. I am 25 years old and do not come from money - I do reasonably well at my job, but still live paycheck to paycheck. My goal is to make literate fantasy films with inventive color schemes. Like Sword and Sorcery meets Rosemary's Baby meets the hit you over the head primary colors of Suspiria? Or the gradient weirdness of Frank Frazetta? With a 1977-1983 postpunk bent? All this makes me seem like an a-hole I think but always looking for likeminded people, so better to put myself out there and make a friend, even if makes me look like a pretentious dbag.
I know if I'm gonna make this my lifegoal, I need to commit more and more money to it, so I am trying to save what I can, but in the interim, can you provide me with some direction as to what a no-budget film maker needs to pickup? What can I buy with $100 a paycheck over the next few months and make a movie? Can you provide me a highball option and a lowball option in the $500-$100 range? I want to practice and teach myself about narrative film making. I have already invested a little in one area by buying a Minolta SRT SLR to learn about still photography - I feel like this will provide me one possible entryway into shaping my mind to see things creatively and to shape a story. I also bought a Super 8 camera at a thrift store, but there is a little black piece somewhere on the inside obscuring part of the lens, so I don't think I can use that.

I want to do this professionally someday, but I am not sure of how I will make that happen. I know it's disillusioning out there, and a lot of you are laughing on the inside. But I like telling stories! I like imagining things! I want to try!

So in short, here's what I need:
1. Of course any links to threads on this board you think would be very helpful
2. Suggestions for low-budget consumer camcorders that I should consider and why
3. Suggestions for brands or models of super 8 cameras I might want to look at and why
4. Any resource you think would be useful to someone like me and my situation
5. Any books you think I should read
6. Any stuff that I might not know about like lighting on a budget and how I might do that, sound on a budget, etc - with all of this stuff I am clueless

I realize that is a lot to ask - so really, any info or advice you can offer me would be great and is much appreciated. Thanks for your patience and guidance!

"all of this stuff I am clueless"

So why not spend the next three months goggling and researching some basics first.

Go to your local film school, take a basic acting/writing class, help out on a student film etc.

And you'll learn much more by doing, obviously keep popping in and as you grow you'll be able to ask more specific questions as and when the need arises as opposed to a shedload of various advice all at once which you won't have a clue about...

All the best, Jim.

Welcome to indietalk, matematik.

You’re right, it’s a lot to ask. But all your questions can be
answered. Right here on the indietalk boards there are a dozen
threads about cameras to consider. If you can’t find them in the
“Cameras & Lenses”, “Newbies” or “Cinematography & Lighting”
forum I’ll list some.

Are you sure you want to consider super 8? Film is wonderful but
expensive. there are a few super 8 folks here - I’m one of them -
and several threads about it. Again, if after a search of the
forums you can’t find them I’ll post them here for you. I own
several super 8 cameras.

Most of us here are very willing to offer you personal, specific
help. We are also aware that often people will come to the boards,
post one time and then never return to read the replies. Now that
you have come back and done some of your own searching what have
you found? Anything that helps? Do you still need more info?

Let me know what you couldn’t find and I’ll help.

Thanks guys! Jamster, I am actually taking steps to enroll in the AV program at my local community college. And Directorik, thanks for the direction! I will report back to you with what I find!

In all seriousness: this is the most competitive field there is. You can make a dozen low budget feature films, and never make a penny. The world is flooded with them. Everyone's grandma is a director now.

"What can I buy with $100 a paycheck over the next few months and make a movie?"​

Not much.

" Can you provide me a highball option and a lowball option in the $500-$100 range? I want to practice and teach myself about narrative film making. I have already invested a little in one area by buying a Minolta SRT SLR"

Sell the Minolta immediately, and get a dslr with decent video (T2i / GH2) as soon as you can afford it.

"I also bought a Super 8 camera at a thrift store, but there is a little black piece somewhere on the inside obscuring part of the lens, so I don't think I can use that."

It may be fixable. Remember when shooting film that every foot costs you money.

Your best bet might be to hook up with an existing production company, if you can.

As Directorik said, there's a lot of info here-doing the college AV is a good step!

I like your enthusiasm!

Just take it one step at a time, and enjoy the process-and we look forward to seeing your work!

As Directorik said, there's a lot of info here-doing the college AV is a good step!

I like your enthusiasm!

Just take it one step at a time, and enjoy the process-and we look forward to seeing your work!

Tina, thanks for the support!

What I've found so far is that basically for narrative films I should not be looking at camcorders, but rather an inexpensive DSLR, and then upgrade as the funds become available. Do you guys concur? I think I still might invest in a flip so I can work on some sketches with my friends. I have an idea for a short film where a guy who listens to number stations on short wave radio decrypts a code into directions for building a mathematical grid in his shed (the shed my friend Michelle owns in Leesburg, lol). He paints this grid across this piece of plywood, and it will be this yellow base with all of these mathematical and alchemical characters latticed across it in red. Out of this plywood will emerge a face, and I reckon we will have two versions of this plywood my friends and I will paint - maybe multiple, but I don't want to be too ambitious. We will take a jigsaw and make holes for hands and a face, and paint this lattice across the person's face and hands to try and match up as best as possible the pattern on the wood. I reckon I will have to play the thing emerging from the board, so I might need to shave my head.
We will then focus on this man in his house, kind of absurdly distraught that this thing is just growing in his shed, but really doing nothing except staring at the shed and smoking cigarettes.
Then one day he will go out and the thing will start talking to him. I am not sure then if the main character will become complicit in his own demise, maybe feeding the thing blood to cultivate its departure from the plane of symbols.

Anyway, that is my first project idea. I know I will need plywood, paint, and my friend Michelle has a Canon camera, so I can try and use that but if that gets dicey or she feels uncomfortable with that I will invest in one of those cheap Xanyos or whatever, the cheap, cheap camcorders with zoom. I know I should put more focus on learning to frame my shots, but even as a super duper amature I love zoom. I also might need to build a stabilizing device because as this guy walks across the backyard to the shed I want to create the sensation by the end that he is floating there, as if drawn by the thing. I am not sure how I will do this, but I will need to experiment.

Any thoughts? Tips to make this easier? I am not too concerned about the sound, as I may just dub vocals and background noise in afterwards, to add to the grindhouse/surrealist flavor. I play guitar, so I can come up with a minimalist/ambient soundtrack with audacity as well on my own.

Hello matematik.This is Prithvi.I'm myself a newbie here .I like your enthusiasm.

Any books you think I should read

I heard from a pro that these are worth a try for a new bie."Screen Writing work book" by Sydfield,"Five C's of cinematography","shot by shot".Try them.Think you'll get it free online.

Then,another pro director,whom I know suggested me ,I can get some knowledge and experience by reading movie scripts.There's a website 'Internet Movie script database". Try reading few good flicks,you'll get an idea how the movie was shot.

Before heading onto a feature,like everyone make shorts and get your self enrolled here at www.withoutabox.com.

..and ofcourse,Indietalk's always there to help you :)

Best regards.

"all of this stuff I am clueless"

So why not spend the next three months goggling and researching some basics first.

Go to your local film school, take a basic acting/writing class, help out on a student film etc.

And you'll learn much more by doing,
obviously keep popping in and as you grow you'll be able to ask more specific questions as and when the need arises as opposed to a shedload of various advice all at once which you won't have a clue about...

All the best, Jim.
That's what I was going to say. I would say, get out there and get involved in other people's projects, even if as just a PA. You will start to get the feel for things and you will learn tons of good things, and maybe you might see things you won't want to repeat on your own projects.

Your biggest challenge in all of this, DIRECTING REAL TRAINED ACTORS, not friends. And the second biggest challenge, finding a "good" script or writing one yourself. Those should be your 2 CHALLENGE GOALS

It's not about buying lights or lenses or stabilizers or cameras or HD monitors or the latest DSLR

The money you save instead of buying equipment could be used to hire and surround yourself with the best possible crew for light, camera and sound. That's the third GOAL, surround yourself with the best possible people for the budget that you do have

You hire a decent DP, they will watch your back for lighting, look and vision
You hire a good camera person, they will watch your back for camera
You hire a good sound person, they will watch your back for sound

I assume your goal is to DIRECT, like most people. If that is the case, buying equipment will not make you a better Director. Your GOAL should be working with Trained Actors on a consistent basis with a script in hand and pulling out a performance that keeps viewers interested. You don't need a lot of money for that, just time. It doesn't even have to be a script you wrote and it doesn't even need to be shot on film or video - it's practicing and cultivating the art of Directing :)

Back