Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
AmateurD
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lisbon
Posts: 222
Questions about Mockumentaries

Hello all,

First i'd like to know whats your opinion about television Mockumentaries, do you think they're overused nowdays? Do you like that style?

Another question is, a Mockumentary also means that supposedly there is a filming crew present and shooting the events, correct? So let's say for example that if i use it and i have a scene where a character
goes into a complete stanger person's house (and of course the camera needs to be there too), doesn't that kinda break it?

Thanks.

Last edited by AmateurD; 02-16-2017 at 06:39 PM.
AmateurD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
maz
Basic Member
 
maz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK (SE and Midlands)
Posts: 767
I think the age of mockumentaries has passed, but good new ones still appear from time to time. In general, all mockumentaries ignore the absence of camera crews to the extent that it's practically a genre convention. When the US Office tried to introduce a storyline where a character interacted with the camera crew, it really didn't work for that reason (having been invisible for about 200 episodes by that point...)
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,408
Mockumentaries on TV?
Any examples?
I only see bad fake reality TV, which is in essence not the same, but using the same principle of presenting stage performances as real.

My ultimate mockumentary is 'This is Spinal Tap'. I doubt whether or not it can be beaten, since it scores 11 out of 10
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
SleepyDogFilms
Basic Member
 
SleepyDogFilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Mockumentaries on TV?
Any examples?
I only see bad fake reality TV, which is in essence not the same, but using the same principle of presenting stage performances as real.

My ultimate mockumentary is 'This is Spinal Tap'. I doubt whether or not it can be beaten, since it scores 11 out of 10
I agree! The Christopher Guest Mockumentaries are the only good ones I can think of!
SleepyDogFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurD View Post
First i'd like to know whats your opinion about television Mockumentaries, do you think they're overused nowdays? Do you like that style?
I like them. I think that anything can be overused. Even Guest failed
with "Mascots". I like that style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurD View Post
Another question is, a Mockumentary also means that supposedly there is a filming crew present and shooting the events, correct? So let's say for example that if i use it and i have a scene where a character
goes into a complete stanger person's house (and of course the camera needs to be there too), doesn't that kinda break it?
I don't understand. Kinda break what? A MOCKumentary is mocking the
documentary form. Seems to me the entire point of a mockumentary is
to "kinda break it" so I suspect I'm missing your point. What breaks if
a character goes into a complete strangers house?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Alcove Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 7,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
My ultimate mockumentary is 'This is Spinal Tap'.
Oh yeah…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
I doubt whether or not it can be beaten, since it scores 11 out of 10
Damn, now I have to find the time to watch it again!


"Spinal Tap" sort of wrote the book on the current generation of mockumentaries; it broke all sorts of "rules."
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
AmateurD
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lisbon
Posts: 222
Thanks for your replies!

I was talking more about TV shows, like the good old "Trailer Park Boys", now "Parcs and Recreation", "Modern Family", "The Office", etc. Do you think there is any show where its use it is not necessary or not properly executed?

There are some great movies though, i really enjoyed watching"What we do in the shadows". You guys mentioned "This is Spinal Tap", judging from your words and from what i've already read about it, i really wany to watch that one.

directorik, forget about it. You're right, that question does not make any sense.

Last edited by AmateurD; 02-17-2017 at 05:03 AM.
AmateurD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
maz
Basic Member
 
maz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK (SE and Midlands)
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurD View Post
Thanks for your replies!

I was talking more about TV shows, like the good old "Trailer Park Boys", now "Parcs and Recreation", "Modern Family", "The Office", etc. Do you think there is any show where its use it is not necessary or not properly executed?

There are some great movies though, i really enjoyed watching"What we do in the shadows". You guys mentioned "This is Spinal Tap", judging from your words and from what i've already read about it, i really wany to watch that one.

directorik, forget about it. You're right, that question does not make any sense.

The last three shows you've listed are not really mockumentaries beyond the visual style. They all abandoned the conceit quite quickly beyond a few format points.

Actually I would argue they overuse those specific format points (glances to camera, talking heads etc) as an efficient way to increase the number of jokes without having to write actual story beats. Why spend episodes setting up character interactions to reach a punchline when the characters can deliver the setup and punchline in a 20-second talking head cutaway? They can be funny (Phil Dunphy especially), but it's quite a lazy way to write and show comedy - telling not showing.
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
harmonica44
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 6,661
I really like Borat and Bruno. I know they are very immature movies, but I couldn't stop laughing. I think there could be more movies like those.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk