A hello and a question.

Hello everyone! I've just started film school and my aim is directing. Was hoping you guys could help me on what book I should read?

I'm between:

The 5 C's in cinematography
Film Directing: Shot by Shot
The Film Director Prepares
Film Directing Aesthetics

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. See you around!:)

Read all of those. Then read every other book on film directing you can find. There are no limits, and you'll continue to learn for your entire career.

In addition to your good list, I'd recommend Mamet's book on directing actors for film, which you may agree with or disagree with but probably find illuminating either way.

Last edited:
OH Mamet...he so funny.

"Don't act...just read my script. Stay with the dialog. Don't act."

Love his approach...in that...you're so funny kinda way.

Mamet is good for a different perspective. His other book, Three Uses of the Knife is really good also.

The only actors I've ever met who had anything nice to say about Mamet at all, or one of his plays or films or books, are male actors that inherently hate women. His perspective is...interesting...for rounding out the gamut of opinions on theatrical and film acting, but I don't know many strong adherents.

OH Mamet...he so funny.

"Don't act...just read my script. Stay with the dialog. Don't act."

Love his approach...in that...you're so funny kinda way.

Mamet is good for a different perspective. His other book, Three Uses of the Knife is really good also.

I guess I split the difference. I very much want actors to act... As long as they deliver every word of dialogue exactly as it was written.

Back