Method/Procedure to Cast Actors

I've read a lot of good stuff here about approaching actors through reps and by submitting screenplay, budget/pay, etc.

But what i could not find is... how do you actually approach these actors? I am doing a short feature using film and it's fairly high budget. I was hoping to cast someone from LA who has done a few films to do my short. Obviously, like most of us i wouldnt have offered any pay... but offered flight tickets, high-end hotel accomodations, entertainment exps, etc.

Is there a casting company i can talk to?

I'm not referring to the Brad Pitts and Christian Bale... but the semi-popular ones.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

There are many casting agents in Los Angeles who (for a fee) will submit your casting call to agents. Some of them have connections with specific agents who have specific clients. If you have an actor (or several) in mind, mention this to the casting director in your initial conversation.
I am doing a short feature using film and it's fairly high budget. I was hoping to cast someone from LA who has done a few films to do my short. Obviously, like most of us i wouldnt have offered any pay... but offered flight tickets, high-end hotel accomodations, entertainment exps, etc.
You aren't going to pay the actor? Even with a fairly high budget? That's going to create a problem. The actors you want will be Guild members so you'll have to make the film under their agreements. Check http://www.sagindie.org/ for information. A casting agent will be able to help you there, too.

Unless an actor is know to you personally the process is going to cost money. Be prepared.

Thanks for ur response..

There are many casting agents in Los Angeles who (for a fee) will submit your casting call to agents. Some of them have connections with specific agents who have specific clients. If you have an actor (or several) in mind, mention this to the casting director in your initial conversation.

How do i find their contact info? Is there a format i should use to submit any information from my end?

You aren't going to pay the actor? Even with a fairly high budget? That's going to create a problem. The actors you want will be Guild members so you'll have to make the film under their agreements. Check http://www.sagindie.org/ for information. A casting agent will be able to help you there, too.

Unless an actor is know to you personally the process is going to cost money. Be prepared.

Well what i mean by high budget is... im using every dollar towards equipment (super16mm cameras, Fisher dollys, jibs, crew pay, props, art, location, insurance, post-prod etc.)... If you add up all these items, its quite significant.

I have contacted SAG and have had a 'Short Film' contract signed with them... so that entitles the SAG/union to get paid if the short is distributed. Thats the only pay i can offer.

Your thoughts?

thoughts on the topic of actors working for deferment (paid when distribution happens) on this board tend to be a bit varied...they make the psuedo religious mac/pc debates look tame in comparison ;) I would leave this decision to the actors...if they're willing to work for deferment, then they will work for deferment. I've only ever worked on projects that no one gets paid on, so I'm firmly in one camp (more for the beginner/hobbyist filmmaker) while Directorrik will be in the other camp being an industry professional :) Both have their places...I think the concensus is to work from the one to the other as you progress your career.

As to what information you need to give agencies, ask them. It never hurts to ask (unless you get slapped for what you're asking). 9/10s of this industry is based on making really odd requests on the phone..."what kind of information do you need from me?" pales in comparison to most of the requests I've made in the course of producing my cinematic endeavors. Example: Call to the Sauk Rapids, MN Police Dep't non-emergency line, "Where can I find information about what constitutes an illegal weapon to have appear in public?" - this is specifically the reason I begin every phone call with "my name is <name here>, I'm a local independant filmmaker...". I had a camel lined up for the 48hour we did this year using these types of phone calls ;)

If you are a member of imdb pro you can find every actors agent info. It will give you the name and number directly to the actors agent/agency. I reccommend this highly. It also gives you a detailed chart on how much each actor has been getting paid per film and what to expect. Let me know how it works out. I think imdb.com gives 30 day trial periods :D good luck

I've found through talking with friends that there are three simple things to getting most actors to work on your short film:

1) Have current, valid SAG paperwork

2) Send a OFFER LETTER to their agent. Even if the offer is LOW, it still shows the actor that you respect their talent and it shows the agent that they're going to get paid SOMETHING! (Usually, the agent fees, SAG fees, taxes, etc come out of your pocket, not the actor's. That way, if you offer $300/day, they actually receive $300/day)

3) For god sakes, have a great script that does not pigeon-hole the actor. They'll be much more likely to come on board if the script challenges them.

That's my advice. Hope it helps!

You need to look into Breakdown Services

They are a service that collects all the casting notices each day and distrbutes them to all the Agencies in town. It's really the only way to get your casting notice in front of the eyes of legit agents.

And in your listing you can give a synopsis of your script, a detailed character breakdown, production info, union status, pay rate, and whether or not you are only interested in "established names".

The down side is that since you are not in LA or NY, people would have to mail you hardcopy (headshots & resumes) submissions. And unless there was some decent pay, many agents might not bother to do so. Having an email link for email submissions will help with that a bit.

I don't know what they charge, but I have seen many student films, indie films and even non-union films listed in there, so they are not exclusive.

All this is assumming you don't already have a particular actor(s) in mind.

thoughts on the topic of actors working for deferment (paid when distribution happens) on this board tend to be a bit varied...they make the psuedo religious mac/pc debates look tame in comparison. I would leave this decision to the actors...if they're willing to work for deferment, then they will work for deferment.
I don't mean to suggest that it can't happen. Actors work for free all the time - even "semi-popular ones." My advice is to approach the agents knowing that they are in the business of making money. Sometimes filmmakers get involved in thinking how having a name actor will help THEM and lose sight of the actors needs.

GiveMefood - I understand that many filmmakers use their entire budget on equipment, props, art, locations, insurance and the like. But if you are paying your crew, I suggest you pay your talent. If you can't, you can't. You have already taken the first, important step and signed an agreement with SAG. So now you need to approach agents. As you know, SAG needs a detailed budget listing all deferred and current expenses (item 2-B). The agent is going to want to see this, too. I can almost guarantee the agent is going to ask you about paying your crew and not their client.

First: it's best to know who you want rather than poking in the dark. Using the various breakdown services as Robert suggest is fine. But as he pointed out, most agents won't respond if there is no pay. You need to get the script to them. And your approach really should be "Sam is the only actor for the part". Not "I need a semi popular actor".

Second: I agree with jmac. Since you aren't paying anything you are going have to appeal to the actor with something interesting. Offer a role they've never done before.

That's why I suggest a casting director. For a fee they can often get you in direct contact with actors who fit your needs. Check LA411.com and castingsociety.com. I've worked with a few casting directors. If you feel comfortable telling me who your top 3 choices are I might be able to offer a referral.

Thank you guys... i think every message has been immensely helpful. I cannot thank enough. I have no problem bleeding myself more to pay actors.. but just that one (such as myself) cannot offer what they may expect. A few hundreds is alright.. but when it runs in thousands... ?

Im going try most services suggested here.

That's why I suggest a casting director. For a fee they can often get you in direct contact with actors who fit your needs. Check LA411.com and castingsociety.com. I've worked with a few casting directors. If you feel comfortable telling me who your top 3 choices are I might be able to offer a referral.

Thanks much Directorik. Can i email you my screenplay? Its only about 10 pages... Is there a direct email i can send the screenplay to? Mine's tonyonline @ hotmail dot com

let me know ur thoughts. I truly believe in this one which is why im spending more than i can afford. And yes... your referral would be very helpful. I'll shoot you a private message tomorrow.

Sure. Send it. My e-mail is my username at yahoo.

A 10 page script shouldn't take you more than a weekend to make. Paying a name talent $500 plus transpo and accomidations (which you've already put in the budget) shouldn't break you. And the SAG indie agreement is only $100/day so you'll be offering a fair wage. In my experience, it's going to cost you three to five times that to find an actor.

Last edited:
A 10 page script shouldn't take you more than a weekend to make.

Using recognizable actors can be a great way to jump start your career, but remember that if you're using SAG actors, you don't get the luxury of doing back-to-back 18 hour days to get your shots.

No offense to directorik, but I recommend that you plan out your shots and schedule accordingly, otherwise you may end up with a partially shot or heavily compromised film, a load of SAG fines or perhaps all 3.

5 pages per day doesn't leave much room for creative or technical problem-solving, plus, you might even end up with a superior film by giving it more days.

That said, your script might be 2 people sitting and talking in a room and you feel you can easily knock in a day. What the hell do I know?

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Every time I don't add "in my opinion" or "in my experience" I open my myself up to this kind of valid criticism. I have made so many features shooting 6 - 8 pages per day that I often don't remember that most new directors can't do that. jmac, you are absolutly right.

Sometimes cost isn't as important a factor as creative or technical problem solving. One should take as many days as they need to get the movie they want.

We've knocked out both our horror pieces "Curtain Call" and "Death Bed" in a day or two and both were 10 page scripts...I definately would have liked more time to shoot both of them.

Every time I don't add "in my opinion" or "in my experience" I open my myself up to this kind of valid criticism. I have made so many features shooting 6 - 8 pages per day that I often don't remember that most new directors can't do that. jmac, you are absolutly right.

Sometimes cost isn't as important a factor as creative or technical problem solving. One should take as many days as they need to get the movie they want.

And this is why I have slowly become enamored with IndieTalk. The openness to dialogue. I can't wait for the Script-to-Screen Challenge!

Back